XF 2.2 LESS and container queries

Newsman

Hey there!

Sooo I was wondering: did I get it right that for now container queries do not work with the LESS version included in Xenforo? Is there any way to make them work? Do I have to update LESS somehow?

Cheers!

Can you clarify what you mean by container queries.

Do you mean var if statements, or viewport width, or @container , or something else?

Probably not. @container is a relatively new thing introduced to LESS, and the library XenForo uses for LESS hasn't been updated in many years:

In fact the developer has deprecated/archived the library and recommends people switch to a "well-maintained fork":

It probably makes sense for XenForo to update/switch the LESS library they are using (that's a different thing though), but even the new recommended one doesn't yet support @container. See:

Probably not. @container is a relatively new thing introduced to LESS, and the library XenForo uses for LESS hasn't been updated in many years:

In fact the developer has deprecated/archived the library and recommends people switch to a "well-maintained fork":

It probably makes sense for XenForo to update/switch the LESS library they are using (that's a different thing though), but even the new recommended one doesn't yet support @container. See:

That is unfortunate, especially considering how handy the new query is :( Thanks for clearing this up!

This doesn't help with @container support, but wanted to note we have already upstreamed the outstanding minor changes from our fork to Wikimedia and switched to their fork for 2.3, though we are constrained to v3.2 for PHP compatibility.

Top Bottom