Legal Issues with Under-13 Users?

=MGN=RedEagle

Anyone know if opening the door to users under 13 is a big legal issue? Do you have to offer protections or something?

I am pretty sure you have to enable and use Coppa. Including faxing and getting docs signed by a parent to use the site. Your site must also maintain under a pg-13 rating in it's content.

I am pretty sure you have to enable and use Coppa. Including faxing and getting docs signed by a parent to use the site. Your site must also maintain under a pg-13 rating in it's content.

If you're based in the US. There's no international equivalent as far as I know.

Just read it. Looks like you need parental consent, and now that I think of it, Facebook I think limits use to 13 and up.

I thought FB was starting to allow under 13s and we're arguing for some COPPA changes to make it easier for them.

You have to be 13 to use facebook. Those under 13, put a DOB of 13 or older.

Correct, I believe I had my first FB account when I was 10 or 11...

Anyhow, yeah - COPPA. Children under 13 need a signed permission form from their legal parent/guardian...

vB had a COPPA usergroup for 'automatic' systems. If you're not US based just ignore it :)

Most children fake their age anyway...

Correct, I believe I had my first FB account when I was 10 or 11...

Anyhow, yeah - COPPA. Children under 13 need a signed permission form from their legal parent/guardian...

vB had a COPPA usergroup for 'automatic' systems. If you're not US based just ignore it :)

Most children fake their age anyway...
My servers are in the US, rented from a US company. Is that an issue?

I believe it would be yes, as the content on the servers would be subject to US law, and the hosting company would be subject to US law and would go through US courts.

Yes, regardless where you live, the provider and it's upstream provider must follow all state and federal laws. Same applies for you too. If you lived in US but hosted in Russia, your site would still need to follow Coppa guidelines as a US based owned forum.

If the operator of the website is a US citizen and/or the server is located in the US, then COPPA applies.

Top Bottom