• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Legal Issues with Under-13 Users?

Mike Edge

I am pretty sure you have to enable and use Coppa. Including faxing and getting docs signed by a parent to use the site. Your site must also maintain under a pg-13 rating in it's content.

RobParker

I am pretty sure you have to enable and use Coppa. Including faxing and getting docs signed by a parent to use the site. Your site must also maintain under a pg-13 rating in it's content.
If you're based in the US. There's no international equivalent as far as I know.

Liam W

You have to be 13 to use facebook. Those under 13, put a DOB of 13 or older.
Correct, I believe I had my first FB account when I was 10 or 11...

Anyhow, yeah - COPPA. Children under 13 need a signed permission form from their legal parent/guardian...

vB had a COPPA usergroup for 'automatic' systems. If you're not US based just ignore it :)

Most children fake their age anyway...

=MGN=RedEagle

Correct, I believe I had my first FB account when I was 10 or 11...

Anyhow, yeah - COPPA. Children under 13 need a signed permission form from their legal parent/guardian...

vB had a COPPA usergroup for 'automatic' systems. If you're not US based just ignore it :)

Most children fake their age anyway...
My servers are in the US, rented from a US company. Is that an issue?

Mike Edge

My servers are in the US, rented from a US company. Is that an issue?
Yes, regardless where you live, the provider and it's upstream provider must follow all state and federal laws. Same applies for you too. If you lived in US but hosted in Russia, your site would still need to follow Coppa guidelines as a US based owned forum.