Leaving a forum to someone?

jonsidneyb

How does one set up something like this.

Lets say the forum owner gets hit by a train or something and someone has to take it over. How does one set up a forum to go from one person to another?

Lets say the forum owner gets hit by a train or something and someone has to take it over. How does one set up a forum to go from one person to another?

I'm pretty sure that if you just write it in a will and put the name of the user in there, the legal authorities will fix that. You could also just trust someone now enough with the passwords to everything if something went wrong.

Put your XenForo customer details in your will, and you're all good. ;)

Not the best scenario to think about, but unless you maybe write it in your will, or have someone close to you know all the needed details, then it's impossible. I have two Administrators who know enough to keep the site running should something relatively shocking happen to me, though none of them are particular wrestling fans, so perhaps it wouldn't be left in the best hands :rolleyes:.

It's no different than leaving someone a car...make sure you leave them the keys.

Make sure that if you are preparing, that there is a contingency to give them login credentials to your domain registrar, your host billing client, server access, associated email accounts, and any relevant contact infos that they will need to continue your legacy.

Simply giving them access to admin side of stuff on the site is not enough. To replace the part of you, they will need to play the part of you and that means everything about you involving your site/server/domain.

I gave someone a safe and the contents are not accessible until I die or am rendered into a state of non-cognition, when I end up in that place they will receive a call and be told a number...that number is the password for the safe which contains everything they need, and though this is not related to a website or server, it serves it's purpose for my ends and they wont get the contents before it's time.

For a server you don't need to get that elaborate, you can simply keep a document with relevant server/site info (passwords and such) updated just like you would update your will if you suddenly changed a whole lot of your possessions, and upon your incapacitation have that document delivered to them. Have a trusted family member or friend deliver the info unless you want to get a lawyer involved and all that.

My wife and I have been talking about this as well. What to do with what is left of the network if something happened to our household members? Leave it to a friend, leave it to a group of people, close it?

My concern is if you leave it to someone in the community with no experience in handling a big-board the site could be doomed. I suppose that wouldn't matter if we were dead.
To leave it to someone with knowledge and experience seems like a smart thing to do but feels like a disservice to the community in some respect.

There are certainties for me specifically. I wouldn't leave it to any family member, ever and I wouldn't leave it to the majority of my friends. Both groups don't have any grasp of the internet other than knowing that someone may be spying on you at some time or other and facebook is REALLY cool.

So, since we started talking about this, about 2 months ago off and on I really haven't come to the conclusion as to what to do.

My suggestion and the route I believe I will take is to approach people, see if they are interested in the burden, make sure they understand the details and if they are ok with it draft up some documentation for them to review (less passwords). Once complete, leave a copy with an attorney.

I think it is somewhat different than other types of property like cars and houses. Most people would know what to do if they inherited a car or a house, and if they don't it would be easy to find legal help to advise them in those matters. Very few people, on the other hand, know how to successfully upkeep a forum, and it is not easy for someone who doesn't know to be able to find someone who would be able to do it for them.

I have arrangements with a few of my friends who are a bit older and are concerned about their forums being able to survive if they pass away. Fairly simple arrangements, I'd take over the admin of the server and forums keeping everything in place. On the monetary side, a percentage of the revenues to me for the server costs, other expenses and my time, with the remaining balance to whomever they assign it to in their will.

It does make it easier if the forum is run like a business. A forum that is run as a hobby, especially one that doesn't take in enough revenue to cover expenses would be much more likely to not survive I think. Unless the forum owner arranges ahead of time with a friend or colleague who shares the passion in the topic and has the willingness and resources to financially support the forum along with the knowledge to handle the upkeep.

It's really a good idea for anyone who cares about their forums to have plans in place for unfortunate and unforeseen events.

I just assumed that a forum or website in general would be left to someone who has the ability to run the site and that is generally what I assumed others would think when contemplating this.

I just assumed that a forum or website in general would be left to someone who has the ability to run the site and that is generally what I assumed others would think when contemplating this.
Only if the owner arranges that in advance. I've seen many popular forums just go out like a light because the person who founded it vanished, for whatever reasons. I think most forum owners don't share things like admin logins, root for the server, domain registration account logins, and other things that would be necessary for the long term upkeep of the site. That information can all be safely kept in case of emergency, but you've got to line up the person who's going to run the show behind the scenes in advance.

Only if the owner arranges that in advance. I've seen many popular forums just go out like a light because the person who founded it vanished, for whatever reasons. I think most forum owners don't share things like admin logins, root for the server, domain registration account logins, and other things that would be necessary for the long term upkeep of the site. That information can all be safely kept in case of emergency, but you've got to line up the person who's going to run the show behind the scenes in advance.

Well of course...and therein lay the problem for most I guess...knowing a trustworthy person who can also run the show at speed or catch up quick and has an interest in keeping a well oiled machine rust free.

Well of course...and therein lay the problem for most I guess...knowing a trustworthy person who can also run the show at speed or catch up quick and has an interest in keeping a well oiled machine rust free.

Yea, most forum admins will absolutely have people they know and trust, our "real life friends" and family. Having someone you trust AND that person knows how to keep a forum going, that might not be so easy. For anyone who's running a big, profitable forum, it would probably be a good idea for them to have their lawyer help them set in place arrangements with a pro to keep their forum going in the event that they are unable to. I realize that may not be feasible for smaller boards and ones that aren't run as business though.

Not the best scenario to think about, but unless you maybe write it in your will, or have someone close to you know all the needed details, then it's impossible. I have two Administrators who know enough to keep the site running should something relatively shocking happen to me, though none of them are particular wrestling fans, so perhaps it wouldn't be left in the best hands :rolleyes:.

What university did you wrestle for?

There is only one person that would get the forum is an admin that has been with me since April 2006.

I am not worried about who would get the forum. My worry is the how.

I am afraid I will miss somthing.

She will need to be able to get the domain name moved over to her.

The sever with the hosting company will need to be transferred.

The Xenforo license? Not sure about this either.

I am going to re-read what others have posted again.

I am on the phone with GoDaddy, the person I talked to was not sure how to go about this and has put me on hold. I still don't know how this will work.

Last edited:
Even if I am dead? That would be helpful :)
If they have your login details they shouldn't even have to call them, simply login and transfer the domains to their own service. Or simply keep them there and pay the bill themselves.

Write an awesome script that works with your will? Here's an example: Your will says to enter a certain passphrase into a remote server, which triggers a script that 1) transfers your domains to someone. 2) Provides them with root access to your server. 3) Provides them with your host billing account. Obviously this isn't a very detailed script and it remains to be seen how it would be secure(we're not storing our passwords/usernames in plaintext here, are we?) nor are the methods of delivery rock solid either. Would it be sent by email? text? directly to their computer? Into a document that you both have access to? Or, my personal favorite. They receive an email telling them that they have to break into your house to access your laptop and use it to gain access to another remote server that has a decryption key that only works with your home desktop. Obviously this would be rather difficult, but interesting...very interesting. Ok, enough of my ranting and late night shenanigans. Hopefully this won't be used for anybody here for a long time to come :).

Top Bottom