Launch team to help get new xenForo forums going?

Aha, had me confused for a bit there :D

We'll be kicking off the Fantasy F1 for this year soon (apologies for the shameless plug
whistle.gif
)

Nothing to me is sadder than resorting to creating fake interest in your site. It either is or isn't something people want to join and that should be it. Pretty pathetic how much "post fraud" you see out there now.

I'm happy to help out on a new forum, as long as it is something I'm interested in. I can't see posting on someone's forum, even to help them get it going, when it'll be little more than gibberish if I know nothing of the subject.

(This is just a reply because even though I'm watching this thread, I'm not getting alerts for whatever reason and hopefully this fixes it.)

EDIT: It worked, lol

I think this is a great idea. New communities always need a bit of a push to get some momentum. The first thousand posts are always the hardest, not every community will end up with 4,000 posts on its opening day, like xenforo.com did
eek.png

I like the idea, but am a bit dubious as to the quality of the posts, (no offense intended to anyone) Unless one is pretty well versed in the subject matter, would the posts really be worthwhile?

I like the idea, but am a bit dubious as to the quality of the posts, (no offense intended to anyone) Unless one is pretty well versed in the subject matter, would the posts really be worthwhile?
It is a valid point and no one should take offense to such a statement.

Simply put: If you know about the subject at hand, chances are you'll continue to post at that site without thinking about it. Stick to what you know or like and post there. If not, leave it to someone else.

Better to get one user who knows what they're talking about than several who post a welcome thread and are never seen again. ;)

Even if you don't know anything about the topic most forums have an off-topic section where you can start threads of general interest.

You can also go to Google News and YouTube to see if there are any related topics/videos you can post.

Even if you don't know anything about the topic most forums have an off-topic section where you can start threads of general interest.

You can also go to Google News and YouTube to see if there are any related topics/videos you can post.
Sometimes its those off topic threads that really give a forum a community feeling.. Nothing wrong with posting off topic content in the proper areas. (as long as its still somewhat unique) i wouldn't be really pleased in exchanging posts if my off topic forum filled up with copy paste news type content, unless it was at least moderately relevant.
------------------
edit (decided to play devils advocate)

It just occurred to me that off topic posts might not achieve the goal of a post exchange.. Since content is king i would assume the goal here is to get content on your forum to feed the search engine spiders.. And if thats the case a bunch of off topic posts are not going to be to helpful.

My ideas regarding this can best be presented by going through how I think the process would work.

Joe Admin wants to start a new xenForo forum about raising ducks. He posts his information is a forum set aside for creating launch teams explaining his forum topic. People who either know something about rasing ducks or are at least interested in knowing more about the topic sign up for his launch team and register on his forum. And its okay if some people are new to the topic (as long as not everyone is) as forums do attract people who are new to their topics too. It also gives the admin a chance to demonstrate his knowledge and establish credibility.

There are no committments in terms of threads, responses or time frame. This is just people helping people ultimately to also help xenForo by creating a larger presence and more successful communities.

It won't always work. For example, the forum I began 8 years ago for IBM Power Systems and AIX, would not work. Its a site for experienced engineers. Nor should this be the only approach. it should be part of an overall strategy.

It just occurred to me that off topic posts might not achieve the goal of a post exchange.. Since content is king i would assume the goal here is to get content on your forum to feed the search engine spiders.. And if thats the case a bunch of off topic posts are not going to be to helpful.

Yeah, what I try to do on my forum is post a story or video and then ask a question that will provoke discussion. Just posting content doesn't always get much of a response but if you ask a question or at least add your own comments it encourages people to reply.

The golden rule should apply, if you want quality posts on your forum you should leave them on the forum you're posting on. Obviously not all people care enough to do that.

I think it's a great idea (not a new idea though) but for this to work the launch team would have to consist of people dedicated in posting quality relevant content. Xenforo being new and therefore the majority of communities, it be a nice kick start with regards to help lift that community off the ground.

Or you can always trade posts. You post 5 posts on my forum, I'll post 5 on yours type of thing. Some people like getting something back and won't do anything for nothing. Dedicated team is the keyword here, people that are willing to help and happy to do so.

Something like the content-focused equivalent of a certain barefoot designer donating her talent for the betterment of the community.

If you would have asked me that several days ago I would have gladly helped out. I won't repeat and end what I want to say but I wish you all the best with this, and hope you band together a group of willing people Fred. :)

Top Bottom