Last step before purchase: Conversion Plan

pjkenned

Hi,

This has been covered a few times before in older threads but after a reach out or two with no response I am looking for a quick conversion plan for my current site. Here's the setup:
  • vB 4.2.1 with vbseo
  • ~30k posts and 3k users
  • MariaDB backend
  • nginx for web server
  • CentOS base Linux OS
  • Currently no upload capabilities are turned on for users so the db is very small
I think my steps will be:
  • New VM on one of the nodes setup with CentOS, nginx + php-fpm (this is fairly easy)
  • Have third party migrate data from vB server to XF server
  • Have third party ensure links are maintained across systems
  • Hoping this will be transparent to users (e.g. no need to re-enter passwords and etc.) Also hoping to keep many of the permissions that are currently in place.
  • Live through a bit of pain for a few hours while logos are updated and such
  • Start VM replication to get failover setup (super easy)
  • Copy VM instance to build a dev/ sandbox instance to test addons before moving to production
Any feedback on this or recent similar experiences on third parties that can help do the conversion? I am still looking for that third party. Targeting 14 - 176 March for this. Any experiences with third parties that can do this type of conversion would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you so much. I saw that. Only part I am (very) worried about is the vbseo part. May just purchase and give it a try.
You won't need it. Google will find your site fast. Many sites have experienced this. Both with redirects and without. :)

If your site is on root of the domain; again: You won't need it.

Broken links have highly negative impact on Google search engine ranking...
I know, but xenForo comes with redirection scripts of their own, so any "broken" pages will go back to the main page, so whatever you had before - will be rejected and then google will start to look at your new site. I've experienced this already without redirects.

I tend to want to keep links the same. Google is one component. The other is that we do have links from the main (WordPress) site to the forums.

I am still looking for help with this but have setup a CentOS 6.5 VM with Centminmod to make life a bit easier on the maintenance. Luckily I can checkpoint and revert the VM now.

Top Bottom