1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Large Xenforo Sites

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Sadik B, Nov 16, 2010.

1. Sadik B

Sadik B Well-Known Member

Yep I know there's the Show us your XF thread, but there's no way to tell which is a busy or large forum and which is a startup. I would like to see how larger and busier forums (some with at least a few thousand threads) are using XF and more importantly how they are customizing it.

Any leads? :)
  2. Rigel Kentaurus

Rigel Kentaurus Well-Known Member

Mine is almost 500k (in somewhere around 14k threads)

I have tweaked a little the style, if you browse through this (http://fanficslandia.com/index.php?threads/slam-dunk-luego-del-manga.13203/) you can see the alternating postbit. I have some other subtle changes like new trophies, and I am trying to control myself on changing too much because it is still beta.

Performance is great so far
  3. Sadik B

Hmmm... your site looks very nice. I have a few questions, do you at all rely on SE traffic? How has the SE traffic changed if at all since installing XF?

It seems that Xen would be very good search engine wise, so i was wondering if any large boards had any such ecperience.
  4. Quillz

Quillz Well-Known Member

It's a pretty large XenForo board that has a custom style or two.

And I'm being serious here. This is probably the largest XenForo board on the Internet right now, so it's a pretty good indication of how well it can handle server stress and things like that.
  5. Jethro

Jethro Well-Known Member

Does a site with two members qualify? - Just checking ....
  6. Rigel Kentaurus

Yes, more than 60% of the traffic comes from search engines. With the other 40% being people coming back to the site and direct links.
    I kept a close eye on the traffic, since it was one of my major concerns. So far, it has not changed. It dropped like 1% but that is more like the regular variance that I have in traffic and I do not relate that to the migration.

I did install the script that is in the Addons sections for 301 redirecting the showthread, showpost and forumdisplay traffic. I think that is a must. Actually, Google does not seem to have a problem. In less than a week it has migrated a lot of the URLs to the new formats in the results, and the rest are still valid.

I didn't have vbseo, though, and I certainly do not know how migrating a forum with that will behave and probably I would have needed a custom solution for the redirects should I have been using that.
  7. Rigel Kentaurus

If you have a hundred thousand posts and post everyday at a 1 post per ten seconds rate, I'd say sure ;)
  8. Jethro

Jethro Well-Known Member

Why would I want a hundred thousand posts of inanity?
  9. Jeffin

Jeffin Well-Known Member

I converted my christian forum (with about 30,000 thread and 200,000 posts)some time back. It has about 4000 members registered members. You can check it out. ;)
  10. Jamie

Jamie Well-Known Member

I have to agree with you.. I remember the day the license first became available.. There were TONS of people online and the forums were hoppin' and you didn't even notice it...

This system ran smooth and seamlessly though that day... That was impressive to me being it was only a Beta 1! :)

11. Jethro

Jethro Well-Known Member

Just hold on there dude, we have had a 50% increase in membership overnight :) It's really rocking now, if you count a few posts per day rocking.
  12. Sadik B

Thank you Rigel and Jeffinz for sharing
  13. Axmant Brahaj

Axmant Brahaj Member

well, over 900 000 posts, previous running on UBB. www.albforumi.com and ... it is in Albanian :)
    nukedi likes this.
  14. valdet

valdet Active Member

Very nice bro..

Shume mire dhe te pershendes.
    nukedi and Axmant Brahaj like this.
  15. Sadik B

mike4uo likes this.
  16. CyclingTribe

CyclingTribe Well-Known Member

... and the search on that site is no slouch either ... nice find ... 3+ million posts .......... COME ON XEN!!! :D
  17. Marcus

Marcus Well-Known Member

What did you experience in terms of unique users, daily posts etc.?
  18. Trent Gillespie

Trent Gillespie Active Member

I converted a community with 900,000+ posts over to xF. You can see the time it took to do the import in the following screenshot. The address is http://www.fpsgameforums.com/forums/, but be warned, the style is pretty disgusting atm.

19. Craig

Craig Active Member

I would be thrilled if I could get 100 people to join my forum and actually post things. I have about 500 banned spammers from russia and china.
  20. Craigr

Craigr Active Member

Don't ban them then and they will post loads. :D

Nice username too.