Large Storage Options

Wired

Reading the Pimp My Specs thread, I'm noticing more and more people with several TB of HDD storage. So, how do you have it all arranged? All storage, RAID 0, 1, 10, 5, 6, etc? Internal, external, NAS, etc?

Nothing fancy, just internal. And I back up between the drives.
OS and programs on first drive. Homedir on the second. Media on third. Business on fourth.
OS and Media aren't being backed up, confidential details, preference, and passwords, etc are stored using info.xhead and 1passwd (and synced over network). Homedir drive and business drive are being backed up. The business one actually also offsite).

I am not using raid or anything like that, because I switch hard drives too much. If I get a new drive I want to copy the data over, swap the spots and move the slowest/oldest/smallest one to external firewire800 or usb2

I don't need a NAS, I have FTPd on all systems which takes care of everything (and anything big if i need it) And network is 1gbit. Most computers are on 24/7 anyway, especially the mac pro and the ubuntu pentium server

I have a NAS with 4 drives (2x400GB and 2x500GB) in it running RAID 5.
Really tempted to get a drive, move the contents off, and re-initiate them as RAID6 to get more redundancy...

Nah, what I have works great :)

Ever been tempted to use Chronosync? We've been getting really into DevonThink, and until they release a good syncing system for multi-user use (the devonsync from Wooden Brain works more or less) I've been pondering giving Chrono a spin.

Oh, and we do it pretty much as Floris, internal drives with a 1/2 TB external that i use for backups. We need to get a few more drives in Susan's Mac Pro, it's just kinda... Wrong that my iMac has twice the storage of her Pro ;).

Top Bottom