XF 1.5 Large forum & overdue upgrade from 1.5.4, questions

CreationNation

I have a large forum (Discussions:1,259,891, Messages:10,076,273, Members:155,563) and I am looking to make the upgrade from 1.5.4 to latest.

Back in the day I was usually one to upgrade to new versions as they came out. I remember being freaked when 2 was being released because of the change in codebase and addons being affected, the warnings/heads up, etc. and before I knew it, I was outdated, facebook took a large chunk of my user base (music related), and I kept things as is.

That brings us to now - I am on 1.5.4 with some Audentio UI.X and various other add ons. My host has since upgraded certain things on the server side so my elastic search has been busted for a long while because something or other is outdated, and upgrading php and some other stuff broke my site with 1.5.4 so it's way behind on php, etc. versions on the server.

Given the size of my site/database I am looking for guidance. I've read a couple semi-recent threads about installing the current XF files to the forum root and overwriting things, and running the upgrade (I am already assuming I will need to do the upgrade via cli). I am intermediate at best - but have managed things. After I saw a XF cleanup to purge old XF 1.x files.

Do I need to turn off all add ons before doing this if I am not updating those (I don't even know if many exist any longer)?

I currently pay around $150/month for a managed server. Is the cloud offering with XF suited to large forums at that price range or do I stay put?

Is there anyone on here up for helping with the upgrade for a nominal fee (I own a biz but haven't cut myself a check since July with this economy putting a ding on retail, so I can't do much unfortunately...).

Any guidance or heads up appreciated!

Current monthly analytics: 11,100 users, 13,700 sessions, 25,000 page views

• Wow
Reactions: eL_
Upgrading to XF2 from XF1 is a major upgrade.

No third party add-ons, styles, or other customisations will work in XF2.
You will need to determine whether there are upgrade options for the third party add-ons you are using.

If not, they should be uninstalled.

See here for more details: https://xenforo.com/xf2-docs/manual/install-upgrade/#upgrading-from-xenforo-1

For Cloud, submit a ticket and we can discuss what the best plan is for your site - it depends on various data such as page views, storage, etc.

The official upgrade service is $50 and covers XF1 to XF2 but it is only for the XF software - third party add-ons and styles are not included.

I currently pay around $150/month for a managed server. Is the cloud offering with XF suited to large forums at that price range or do I stay put?
Current monthly analytics: 11,100 users, 13,700 sessions, 25,000 page views

Based on the page views, if your site uses less than 50GB of storage, then the Starter packager would suffice, which is $60 a month.

Even if you bumped up to the Standard package, which supports up to 100GB, it's still only $100 a month, significantly cheaper than what you are currently paying.

Further savings of 10% can be had by paying annually.

Top Bottom