XF 1.2 Language translation issues

QenTox

I will post all my questions about translating in this thread. I downloaded .xml file to translate XenForo to my language much quicker but for some reason I can not find there these phrases:

Inappropriate Content
Inappropriate Behaviour
Inappropriate Language
Inappropriate Advertising

You will come to these phrases when you choose warning type for a user. Any idea why they are not there? Thanks.

I am really lost there, is there somewhere here how to translate via ACP? For some reason I am not able to find phrases via ACP. Maybe I tick the wrong boxes...

ACP -> Appearance -> Phrases -> Search warning_definition

Actually, I stand corrected. Those particular items are not phrased after adding them and can only be a single language. You can set the text for the master language at ACP -> Users -> Warnings.

Last edited:
Translating with the XML only without context is a big no no. You would get a low quality translation with a lot of different meanings that shouldn't be there from the first place.
I recommend installing this add-on:
http://xenforo.com/community/resources/developer-kit.246/

That's the best add-on for translating through ACP with context and filtring untranslated phrases. I think something like that should be integrated in the core system.

Good luck.

@Moshe1010 I know exactly what you mean. I started to translate without even looking into XenForo, then I realized it is not going to end up well. So now I go through different parts of the site and find those phrases in .xml and translate them. Can you please explain me or link me a tutorial how to translate using that developer kit? Or tell me why is that better and how is it different from tlanslating via ACP? Thanks.

@Moshe1010 I know what you mean. I started to translating withou even looking into XenForo, then I realized it is not going end well. So now I go through different parts of the site and find those phrases in .xml and translate them. Can you please explain me or link me a tutorial how to translate using that developer kit? Thanks.
It's an add-on. You install it on your system (upload the files to your host FTP and add the XML of the add-on in ACP), and then in the phrases section you would see drop-down menus. One of the drop-down menu would say "Untranslated" and the one next to it you would have an option to choose which product you want to translate (you can isolate translations for add-ons only or the entire system, your choice).
If you are not planning on releasing your translation in a formal way (pay/support), then I recommend not to translate ACP at all since it's a pain to follow instructions on installing add-ons or reading guides/FAQs on this site.

So with that add-on you can only translate front-end without touching the admin side?
Not really. The add-on just isolates untranslated phrases and gives you the ability to translate add-ons (just them).
The ACP is pretty easy to distinguish which phrases are there: everything that starts with option_
all the descriptions for options (I've deleted them since they are annoying and break ACP sometimes)
and overall you would see by the phrase itself.
If you look at this:
http://xenforo.com/community/attachments/111222-png.25464/

you would see it at the arrows. Just choose "untranslated" under the "Phrases" drop-down. Under the language choose the language you've created (don't translate Master language or English). Under add-on, choose "all".
Then, I've transited page by page and skipped phrases that are ACP related.
I did translate the users tab and all the buttons in ACP, but that just my preference.

I am trying to figure out the parent and the child thing. I need to translate these phrases to my language, but to do that I really needs to undestad what is the meaning of these words in XenForo. It doesn't really make sense to just simply translate these words. I will give you few examples where these phrases can be found:

Translated in a parent language (what is meant by parent language?)
Import language as Child of language or Without Parent(what is again means?)

Can someone please explain what are the differences when I upload a language as a Child and as a Parent?

Anyway, whe I finish my translate what is recommended to do? I don't want other languages (no point for language chooser), only the language I am translating should be there. So in this case should I just overwrite English (US) and then Slovak (SK) will be the only option?

Attach child nodes to another parent - Nodes are basically forums, right? So child of a parent is basically sub-forum?

Child Node - I guess this is then a Sub-forum, if I got it right

Child of Style - but what is this?

Contentcheck tag found that was not a direct child of an if tag with hascontent attribute. - I have no idea what this sentence means and where or when this message appears.

List Child Nodes

List Sibling Nodes - hm, what are siblings in XenForo?

I am not able to find there the explanation of child and parent thing, can you please quote it for me? The only thing I found there is actually this DO NOT just change the default style: always create a child style for your own changes and this DO NOT just change the default style: always create a child style for your own changes

The relationship of child and parent is the same as it is in a family. The main difference is that the child language will inherit it's changed from its parent. A parent will inherit from nothing but the master language (or style).

Top Bottom