Known Bots

Known Bots 6.0.3

No permission to download
@Sim New bots detected [3.20.0]

• hsts-preload-bot
  • mozilla/5.0 (linux; android 10.0; spider v10) applewebkit/537.36 (khtml, like gecko) chrome/95.0.4638.74 mobile safari/537.36

New bots detected [3.20.0]

• mozilla/5.0 (x11; linux x86_64; rv:78.0) gecko/20100101 (inetdex bot)
  • mozilla/5.0 (linux; android 10.0; spider v10) applewebkit/537.36 (khtml, like gecko) chrome/96.0.4664.92 mobile safari/537.36

Just as an update on the development of this addon - I'm almost finished with a completely new build which no longer requires me to publish new versions to get bot updates - I have built a separate application to collate and manage the bot list which then provides an API which sites can query for updates - or download a json file of bot definitions to apply updates manually.

I'm working my way through a backlog of user agents to be processed - the application currently has 905 search strings it can use to detect bot user agents, with 28 generic bots (short strings which might match multiple bots, for example "php"), and 23 "false positives" (users agents with "bot" or "spider" etc in the string but are actually user browsers - for example Cubot mobile phones).

1641241205767.webp

The emails that get sent to me with new bot detections are ingested directly into my new bot management application - so it will continue to get updated as we identify new potential bots.

The 351 "unprocessed" user agents in the statistics above is the backlog of user agents identified as likely bots that I have yet to process - I've also imported some bot lists from 3rd party sources that I am working my way through.

I hope to have the new version of the XenForo addon ready for testing on my own sites shortly - with release here in the next week or so.

Hi all,
This is going to sound really silly, however i have the files from Github, however how on earth do i install it please?! :)

Many thanks @Sim for taking the time to create and support this!

Hi all,
This is going to sound really silly, however i have the files from Github, however how on earth do i install it please?! :)

Many thanks @Sim for taking the time to create and support this!

Don't install it from GitHub - download the addon zip file from here and then upload that to your forum using the addon install process. Takes about 30 seconds.

i read the last post. just wanted to post about gptbot which is probably one of the more interesting bots to be announced in recent times. should be interesting for anyone using addon to monitor this one. cheers. probably need to find a more optimal way to track this one.

Yes, but I'm a bit behind with updates - I've been working on an automated update process, but it's had to take a back seat while I work on other more urgent projects.

Any update please? Getting lots of New bots detected email.

I've got a busy schedule for the next day or so, but I'll make it a priority to try and get a new release done this weekend. When I last deployed my test version, I discovered an issue in production which prevented me from releasing it - once I've resolved that issue, I should be good to go.

Sim updated Known Bots with a new update entry:

KnownBots v4.0.0 - complete re-write

KnownBots v4 is a completely new build - bots are no longer hard coded, but updated via API calls and uses the XF code cache to store bot data
  • raw bot data downloaded from API is stored in internal_data/knownbots.json
  • new CLI tool for manually fetching bots from API (Cron task is also provided)
  • new CLI tool for manually loading bots from knownbots.json
  • new CLI tool for testing user agent matches

Read the rest of this update entry...

Top Bottom