Kapersky

webbouk

Bearing in mind Kapersky is a Russian company should internet users stop using their products in light of the recent events in Ukraine?

I dont use Kaspersky however I do run parallels on a Mac....

There are a lot of companies out there with Russian connections....

It does seem advisable to stop using it, especially as there's so much choice out there. Here's some articles on it to help make up your mind.

I used to get Kaspersky Internet Security for free for having a bank account with Barclays, but then they stopped offering it due to privacy/data concerns.
I haven't used it since, you just don't know with products made in places like Russia (or China for that matter).

Plenty of other, better, and even free options Like BitDefender out there.
Yeah, I don't think I've used Kaspersky, just read their bulletins and such. Not likely to now.

Right now at work, we are running the enterprise version of BitDefender (which we pay well for so the consumer version can be free:)) and liking it. At home I've tried various, but will probably use the free version of BitDefender now that I've seen it in action.

One I plan to steer clear of in future is Norton (not that I've used them in a while myself).

Regardless of whether the cryptominer is opt-in or not, I'm not thrilled with security software building in non-security functionality. Just opens them up to new risks and possible vulnerabilities, IMHO.

I removed Kapersky from our devices and installed BitDefender - there's some good discounts for the first year at the moment.
BitDefender free AV is no longer available for new installs and the free version ends June 2022. There is a 30 day free trial available though if you want to give it a test run

BitDefender is from Romania. With the current Russia - Ukraine war on, I wouldn't put it past Russia to lean on companies from anywhere in eastern Europe, so I'd avoid that too. Real shame as they're both great products otherwise.

Norton 360 is a good, solid, American product that one can try and won't be infected by Russia. Buy it from Amazon, not Norton's website, and it's competitively priced like the competition.

Read the link in my post.
What about it?

Read the article and this is clearly no big deal. They advertise it prominently and it's disabled by default, plus they explain how to remove it. They could make this process a little more convenient, but that's it. It shouldn't stop anyone from buying it, but I think they should definitely not use that crypto miner as it's clearly a raw deal for the end user.

On the topic of Kaspersky...

Germany's cyber-security authority has warned against using anti-virus software from Russian headquartered company Kaspersky.
The Federal Office for Information Security (BSI) issued the statement in light of the conflict in Ukraine.
Russian information-technology businesses could be spied on or forced to launch cyber-attacks, it said.
Kaspersky told BBC News the warning had been "made on political grounds" and it had no ties to the Russian government.

The media have always been complicit. No matter in which war. For me, the BSI simply turns the flag whichever way the wind blows.

I learned from my parents starting in 1967 that you don't shoot people first and think about innocence later.

Top Bottom