KAM, an CMS is it possible in the future?

I think the point is that he doesn't want a CMS or other official add-ons if it means the forum core stops being as stable and functional...

I think the point is that he doesn't want a CMS or other official add-ons if it means the forum core stops being as stable and functional...
Possibly, but why would the forum stop being as stable and/or functional? It is what it is, right? Things can and do change, e.g. vulnerability exposed/php version/MySQL version/operating system/environment, etc., but most of those issues could be addressed as they arise rather than take up the resources of day to day planning/execution needed for building an application.

My point wasn't pro or con (for or against doing a CMS), only that I believe XenForo at this time meets the criteria as set by spacegeek. And, by this criteria, the building of "a CMS or other official add-ons" could in fact begin today. (y)

I remember when XenForo opened, the developers involved in the life of the forum, we could talk to them, that time is now far, no further communication except ads .....

I remember when XenForo opened, the developers involved in the life of the forum, we could talk to them, that time is now far, no further communication except ads .....

They're still around and reading... just very busy, that's all :)

They have told you?
It's human nature.. most people get tired of repeating themselves over and over. ;)

And you honestly expect them to read every thread and every post that comes up on here? When XenForo was purchased by the end user, said end user KNEW that it was a forum script. If it didn't meet their needs then they either need to find a script that does or involve some developers to make it so.
beat horse.gif

Lol, it takes 5 seconds to respond to a message, so busy ....:coffee:
This already took me 5 seconds and it hasn't even said anything useful.

When programming...5 seconds diverted from your train of thought on the programming task at hand is enough to cost you 10-20 minutes getting back up to full speed, multiply that over a couple messages and nothing gets done and that stuff that gets done is what people actually pay for and therefor what actually pays the bills. I feel safe in saying that they make their own choices in where their time is most productively spent and that if they were to ever release a CMS themselves, they would only announce so when it was a 100% certainty that it would be released soon which just shows that they will not be announcing something they are not committed to 100% which is more assuring to me than a textual list of what is to come *subject to change (which in the end is an assurance of nothing).

I'm in agreement with the point of view this is a Forum first and foremost. I'd be quite disappointed if the emphasis of this amazing forum software be lessened by a competing priority of an official CMS addon. The likes of Wordpress or Joomla are tried and tested for the role of a CMS. XenForo is fantastic at covering all the bases of community discussion and collaboration and paired with say WordPress, the needs of most communities or sites in general are covered. All you need is to put the effort into integrating the look and feel coupled with readily available logon integration and you've got yourself a fully featured cost effective website.

Hope these guys keep doing what they're doing, because so far they've been doing it right.

All you need is to put the effort into integrating the look and feel coupled with readily available logon integration and you've got yourself a fully featured cost effective website.
Your apathy seems to suggest that you have yourself never tried to put this together and run it for a long period of time. The people who have tried it and failed or reverted back due to lack of proper integration and support will disagree with you. That includes me. This so called fully featured and cost effective website is a myth.

I have done both...a wordpress integration (without login integration) + custom wp style to match, and a custom front page built on top of xenforo all out of custom widgets I built and I feel it was easier to work right in xenforo than do all the style duplications needed to match WP to XF 100%.

If I also had to do the login integration with wp, the front page built on top of xf using BD widget framework would have been been comparatively even easier especially because it requires maintaining only one piece of software. I can see if you have an existing wp site wanting to integrate it...but if not that I find it much easier to just build your own front page system on top of XF, it is in the end much less work.

I wouldn't mind seeing a Joomla Integration, cant say i wouldnt try using word press though...

With my site, its more of a content, then forum... a lot of the content gets discusses in the forum...

Integrating XenForo into crap like Joomla and Wordpress (when I say crap I'm referring to the god-aweful codebase) would be like sticking a Ferrari badge on a Reliant Regal.

If a CMS is to be done, it should be done correctly. Not some bodge job to make it work with another system.

If a CMS is to be done, it should be done correctly. Not some bodge job to make it work with another system.

I understand people wanting an integrated CMS but a high quality and well supported bridge between XF and WordPress would solve a whole lot of problems. You may not like the WP codebase, but it's an enormously powerful and widely used CMS that has a tremendous plugin base and huge support community. Even if XF wrote the world's greatest CMS with no impact to the forum software, it would take years to get up to the level that WP is at right now simply from an ecosystem standpoint. In addition, a good bridge might encourage sites that are primarily content/comment driven to implement good forums without a lot of pain to the users.

I understand people wanting an integrated CMS but a high quality and well supported bridge between XF and WordPress would solve a whole lot of problems. You may not like the WP codebase, but it's an enormously powerful and widely used CMS that has a tremendous plugin base and huge support community. Even if XF wrote the world's greatest CMS with no impact to the forum software, it would take years to get up to the level that WP is at right now simply from an ecosystem standpoint. In addition, a good bridge might encourage sites that are primarily content/comment driven to implement good forums without a lot of pain to the users.
I agree with you on many points, except that a CMS is not just an article system. A CMS is also a layout configurator and a content type system. A bridge will only allow you to run xf and WP side by side, instead of really going to town with it.

I agree with you on many points, except that a CMS is not just an article system. A CMS is also a layout configurator and a content type system. A bridge will only allow you to run xf and WP side by side, instead of really going to town with it.

A good bridge just enables communication between the systems. I understand that it's not an integrated CMS, but with proper calls between the two systems, most other functions can be built.

At that point, each site can decide how much integration to build in, third party developers can get in on the action, etc. Enabling a deep level of integration with third party systems doesn't relieve you from building a quality product, but it helps relieve the pressure to be all things to all people.

We built a hack to integrate vBulletin threads and logins into WordPress articles and it actually worked pretty well. News articles were automatically created as forum threads so the forum goers could comment, and that thread was basically attached to the WordPress article, so people who didn't venture into the forum could both see and participate in the discussion. No, it wasn't a holistic, unified single system but it allowed years worth of WP development and history to continue unabated.

Top Bottom