Just wanted to thank the Xenforo Staff/Developers II

Spread whatever vitriol you want to about us, but please don't attack other members. Familiarise yourself with the forum rules, specifically:

That applies to you too, please, @Forsaken
🤷‍♂️ more a comment on the situation rather than a direct attack.

Will drop it though; I already had them on ignore a long time ago, so will just add them back to my script to permanently hide them.

Last edited:
For example you might think that you have it in for chris d and bad mouth him on here. (Don't do this)

put it up on your own forum where he can read it later in his own time.
(Do this)

You need to understand that whilst you might not like where XF's heading that you're actually a client of them.
You have a leased version of their site. Use it wisely.

The unspoken assertion, of course being that “being critical will see your licence revoked”… but I actually don’t think that’s ever happened.

I’m sure it’s happened that licences will have been withdrawn over piracy/nulled issues, that goes with the territory, and I’m dimly aware of… three? cases of individuals doing things whereby their sites were deemed inappropriate and licences terminated but I don’t believe these were the product of being critical.

I’m sure my numbers are low because I’ll have missed some controversy over the years but being actively critical of XF Ltd was never one of them. (Being banned for being unnecessarily rude is a different story.)

The unspoken assertion, of course being that “being critical will see your licence revoked”… but I actually don’t think that’s ever happened.
There is actually no "unspoken assertion" because the licence agreement is a legal document and must therefore be clear.

There only reasons the licence can legally be revoked is set out in the agreement

XenForo Limited reserves the right to revoke Your License to use the Software should any of the terms of this Agreement be violated.

That is pretty clear and and the terms do not include being critical of xenForo. If I was critical of Apple would they be able to revoke my licence for the operating system?

Last edited:
While I agree with you, the prior posts in this thread were clearly making the unspoken assertion that “being critical of XF Ltd” would be grounds to withdraw the licence - whether or not the terms were actually violated.

I leave you with this clause from the licence agreement.
You undertake to ensure that the Software is not used by You or others to engage in or promote: illegal activity; any activity that would violate the rights of third parties; defamation, discrimination, harassment, hatred or harm of third parties.

While I agree with you, the prior posts in this thread were clearly making the unspoken assertion that “being critical of XF Ltd” would be grounds to withdraw the licence
Where was that? I didn't see it at all.

Almost the opposite:
Spread whatever vitriol you want to about us, but please don't attack other members.

And the quote from the licence has nothing about criticism:
You undertake to ensure that the Software is not used by You or others to engage in or promote: illegal activity; any activity that would violate the rights of third parties; defamation, discrimination, harassment, hatred or harm of third parties.

None of those things are close in meaning to criticism, even negative criticism.

While I agree with you, the prior posts in this thread were clearly making the unspoken assertion that “being critical of XF Ltd” would be grounds to withdraw the licence - whether or not the terms were actually violated.

I have no idea what unspoken assertions you’re talking about but we have never and will never revoke someone’s license because they’re critical of us.

What on earth has given you this impression specifically?

I have no idea what unspoken assertions you’re talking about but we have never and will never revoke someone’s license because they’re critical of us.

Maybe it was an inference from this comment
You need to understand that whilst you might not like where XF's heading that you're actually a client of them.
You have a leased version of their site. Use it wisely.
tied in with this earlier statement in the same post

For example you might think that you have it in for chris d and bad mouth him on here. (Don't do this)

The inference being if you "talk back" you may be endangering your license "lease".

I can't speak for @Arantor, but that was the "basic read" I got.
But, I don't buy that... in 11 years I've only seen license revocations occur for serious violations of the agreement. And I think we all know I've been fairly vocal lately... still got my 2 active licenses running fine.

It's feedback. It can be negative or positive.
When i do it on my site it's in response to any restrictions i've been put on.
i'd never do that here though. It's the respect factor.
Heck even i've had infractions on here as i needed to pull my head in.
I literally don't have it in for anyone on xenforo i am more annoyed at myself for swearing like a trooper when messaging them.
These guys don't like being sworn at hence why it can get you into strife.

For me personally, I know you’re not like that.

But up thread, such as our antipodean soccer loving friend’s comments, they’re definitely trying to suggest that’s a thing. Whilst, arguably, themselves actually being in violation of the licence and providing documentary evidence of doing so…

Maybe it was an inference from this comment

tied in with this earlier statement in the same post

The inference being if you "talk back" you may be endangering your license "lease".

I can't speak for @Arantor, but that was the "basic read" I got.
But, I don't buy that... in 11 years I've only seen license revocations occur for serious violations of the agreement. And I think we all know I've been fairly vocal lately... still got my 2 active licenses running fine.
Well, yeah. Unless it comes from us it’s not much of a valid assertion.

For me personally, I know you’re not like that.

But up thread, such as our antipodean soccer loving friend’s comments, they’re definitely trying to suggest that’s a thing. Whilst, arguably, themselves actually being in violation of the licence and providing documentary evidence of doing so…
And they would know this, how? It’s nonsense.

Its apparent you don't know what those words mean in a legal setting.

I thank the developers for the miles and miles of code you put hour and hours into. I don't mind waiting for a code to be written or idea to be had. Take the time you want, its your code vs what they want. I don't have to have the latest and greatest to build a community. You are free to use any software you want if you want to use another, go for it if you want to use Xenforo great. In terms of what makes Xenforo great the code is a small token but the token to build the community on it is rather the largest token of all.

Top Bottom