1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

just got a vps and need some tips

Discussion in 'Server Configuration and Hosting' started by aiman.h.kallaf, Oct 9, 2013.

1. aiman.h.kallaf

aiman.h.kallaf Active Member

Greeting ,

I just got a vps with whm/cpannel installed on it.

any general tips i should follow .

and my seccond question is i want to increase the timeout of the server , how can i do that

because i'm noticing that my ftp is not as faster as it should be and a bit slow and there are some timeouts

any advices to increase the ftp uploading speed

2. MattW

MattW Well-Known Member

1st tip.....install Config Server Firewall. That will help you secure and identify what needs to be tightened up on.

With regards to your FTP, what FTP Server have you selected in WHM to use?

3. Tracy Perry

Tracy Perry Well-Known Member

ftp = bad
    sftp = good
    :p

I don't know if WHM can use sftp, but if it is an option it would be my preferred poison of choice.

SneakyDave likes this.
  4. MattW

MattW Well-Known Member

You can, but the user would need minimum jail shell access to the VPS.

5. Tracy Perry

Never have "done" a managed VPS so don't know if shell access is normal or not. I'll keep my unmanaged (except by me) servers. Even with the resources I have on mine being able to support it I don't have any need for a panel.
    I may have to install it on one of mine just to play with tho' to get familiar with the back end of it.

6. MattW

MattW Well-Known Member

It depends on how you set it up. Even if it's managed by the VPS provider, they still usually give you root access. It depends then on how you set up the accounts on there for hosting.

7. aiman.h.kallaf

aiman.h.kallaf Active Member

never liked ftp anyway , i just canceled everything because at this rate i'll need literally more than a month , will use cpannel faster and better

8. Moshe1010

Moshe1010 Well-Known Member

It's possible, but it's noticeably slower than ftp.

9. Tracy Perry

For me, the speed difference is negligible - the security is not.