JQuery Mobile Under Development

If you dig down on that site there's some really nice examples to give you an idea where they are going with this:
http://jquerymobile.com/designs/

and from http://jquerymobile.com/strategy/
We’ve been fixing bugs as we go and will continue to do so throughout the rest of the summer of 2010. We’re hoping to have a fully A and B grade-compatible release of jQuery and Sizzle ready by October of 2010.
Note that we’re not releasing a separate “mobile only” build of jQuery. The bug fixes and workarounds that we develop will be included directly in mainline jQuery. You will be able to continue using the single script file containing jQuery and get all the benefits of working across all the new mobile browsers. Thus far these changes are only yielding a minimal increase in file size (no more than a couple hundred bytes) and no appreciable change in performance.

Sweet. A totally mobile version of XenForo that utilizes these UI elements would be unbelievably cool. XenForo 2.0 perhaps. :)

Sweet. A totally mobile version of XenForo that utilizes these UI elements would be unbelievably cool. XenForo 2.0 perhaps. :)
The difference between xenforo and the established forums is xenforo can change it's framework without affecting anyone. I can see this happening.

The difference between xenforo and the established forums is xenforo can change it's framework without affecting anyone. I can see this happening.
You wouldn't even need to necessarily change the back-end framework. You could develop a totally new mobile one and simply serve it based on user-agent. :)

I must say, a mobile version of XenForo that behaves like a native application but works accross all platforms is very, very appealing. :)

You wouldn't even need to necessarily change the back-end framework. You could develop a totally new mobile one and simply serve it based on user-agent. :)

I must say, a mobile version of XenForo that behaves like a native application but works accross all platforms is very, very appealing. :)
EXACTLY. :)
I'd say the Mobile app vs Mobile Theme debate is now a no-brainer. ;)
And I seriously doubt anyone will have to wait for XF 2.0 for it to come... If Kier and Mike don't make one, it will be a VERY early mod. It's too much a perfect low hanging fruit to pass up! Sure mobile is only 1/30th of the traffic that we get now (based on today's adsense data) but that's partially because our mobile skin for vB sucks. I mean we have one... But it's really basic.

EXACTLY. :)
It's too much a perfect low hanging fruit to pass up! Sure mobile is only 1/30th of the traffic that we get now (based on today's adsense data) but that's partially because our mobile skin for vB sucks. I mean we have one... But it's really basic.

Do you have any Tapatalk users? I have a few loyal ones I'd disappoint since I do have some members who are only able to get on the forum via mobile during some parts of the day.

Someone created an iPhone-like theme for SMF that looks really nice, which I use on one of our forums, plus that forum is also Tapatalk-enabled. (Of the two, I actually prefer the theme-based approach. It looks and acts nicer IMHO.) This is the forum I'm going to be switching over to xF once I get the license in the next few days. I'm not holding my breath for Tapatalk to create an xF plugin, but one can only hope. Mobile is increasingly important to a lot of our users these days, and not having any mobile interface at all is something that will likely delay my implementing xF publicly until it happens.
In fact, that would normally motivate me to create a basic mobile skin for xF, but with a full class load and working, I just don't have the time for it anymore.

Kier and Mike have already stated a full mobile style is planned.

I approve of this post. :D I hate to be picky, but I hope it's on the front burner. Even as an admin, there are entire days I can't be near a desktop computer, and have only my mobile phone to check on what my little miscreants are up to. ;)

Top Bottom