1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

JQuery Mobile Under Development

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by GofD, Aug 13, 2010.

1. GofD

GofD Well-Known Member

For late 2010!
    jQuery Mobile: Touch-Optimized Web Framework for Smartphones & Tablets

Tigratrus likes this.
  2. Tigratrus

Tigratrus Well-Known Member

If you dig down on that site there's some really nice examples to give you an idea where they are going with this:

and from http://jquerymobile.com/strategy/
  3. Brandon_R

Brandon_R Guest

I can see the future.
  4. Onimua

Onimua Well-Known Member

Oh... that looks fun.
  5. Cezz

Cezz Well-Known Member

6. Erik

Erik Well-Known Member

Sweet. A totally mobile version of XenForo that utilizes these UI elements would be unbelievably cool. XenForo 2.0 perhaps. :)
  7. Brandon_R

Brandon_R Guest

The difference between xenforo and the established forums is xenforo can change it's framework without affecting anyone. I can see this happening.
  8. Erik

Erik Well-Known Member

You wouldn't even need to necessarily change the back-end framework. You could develop a totally new mobile one and simply serve it based on user-agent. :)

I must say, a mobile version of XenForo that behaves like a native application but works accross all platforms is very, very appealing. :)
    Tigratrus likes this.
  9. Tigratrus

Tigratrus Well-Known Member

EXACTLY. :)
    I'd say the Mobile app vs Mobile Theme debate is now a no-brainer. ;)
    And I seriously doubt anyone will have to wait for XF 2.0 for it to come... If Kier and Mike don't make one, it will be a VERY early mod. It's too much a perfect low hanging fruit to pass up! Sure mobile is only 1/30th of the traffic that we get now (based on today's adsense data) but that's partially because our mobile skin for vB sucks. I mean we have one... But it's really basic.
  10. Shamil

Shamil Well-Known Member

Hmmm. This is extremely good! I'll keep an eye on this, maybe even donate.
  11. Rudy

Rudy Well-Known Member

Do you have any Tapatalk users? I have a few loyal ones I'd disappoint since I do have some members who are only able to get on the forum via mobile during some parts of the day.

Someone created an iPhone-like theme for SMF that looks really nice, which I use on one of our forums, plus that forum is also Tapatalk-enabled. (Of the two, I actually prefer the theme-based approach. It looks and acts nicer IMHO.) This is the forum I'm going to be switching over to xF once I get the license in the next few days. I'm not holding my breath for Tapatalk to create an xF plugin, but one can only hope. Mobile is increasingly important to a lot of our users these days, and not having any mobile interface at all is something that will likely delay my implementing xF publicly until it happens.
    In fact, that would normally motivate me to create a basic mobile skin for xF, but with a full class load and working, I just don't have the time for it anymore.
  12. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Kier and Mike have already stated a full mobile style is planned.
  13. Rudy

Rudy Well-Known Member

I approve of this post. :D I hate to be picky, but I hope it's on the front burner. Even as an admin, there are entire days I can't be near a desktop computer, and have only my mobile phone to check on what my little miscreants are up to. ;)
  14. cmeinck

cmeinck Well-Known Member

All of my communities are smartphone driven, so it goes without saying that a mobile style is most desirable.
  15. twhiting9275

twhiting9275 Active Member

Just another thing for Apple to ban?
  16. Digital Doctor

Digital Doctor Well-Known Member

Any updates on Jquery Mobile ?
  17. Shamil

Shamil Well-Known Member

Alpha 3 was released on the 4th of February.