jQuery 2.0 Kills IE 6,7,8 Support

The (other) company I do work for still have to run applications on old systems (like w2000).

Why ? Becuase they have a legal requirement to test and validate every pieve of the software, because it invloves lives.
Once a project is running, the systems cannot be altered as that would invalidate everything. Some of these projects can be 10+ years long.

Up until last year, two of the oldest were still running on a system driven by Windows 95 boxes acting as servers. They finally shutdown in 2011.

People who think every business can just upgrade when they feel like it clearly have little idea about how the real world works. :)

You can disagree as much as you like, but when people who work in the IT industry state why businesses are slaves to legacy software it leaves you very little standing to debate with.
I could argue the same thing...

When you have people who work in the IT industry argue that there is no excuse to be slaves to legacy software it leaves you very little standing to debate with.

Could also argue that when you have people in business management ..... Well... same thing....

As I said, we'll need to agree to disagree. Everyone's prospective is different it would seem.

You can disagree as much as you like, but when people who work in the IT industry state why businesses are slaves to legacy software it leaves you very little standing to debate with.
some IT departments are just ****, there is your problem right there.
I doubt Walmart.com gets anything but IE users anyway so looks like were stuck with legacy trash

When you have people who work in the IT industry argue that there is no excuse to be slaves to legacy software it leaves you very little standing to debate with.

Could also argue that when you have people in business management ..... Well... same thing....

As I said, we'll need to agree to disagree. Everyone's prospective is different it would seem.

Criticize as much as you like, much of what was spoken here by people like Forsaken and Paul is what you see out there.

People in the IT industry aren't the ones that make choices, it is the accounting department and higher ups that have the final say. There is no IT department in the world that is against better hardware, and updated software, but when you're limited in the funding you're allowed there just isn't much that can be done.

some IT departments are just ****, there is your problem right there.
I doubt Walmart.com gets anything but IE users anyway so looks like were stuck with legacy trash

Why businesses are just ****.* IT departments are only called in to fix things, and generally only do what they're told.

People in the IT industry aren't the ones that make choices, it is the accounting department and higher ups that have the final say. There is no IT department in the world that is against better hardware, and updated software, but when you're limited in the funding you're allowed there just isn't much that can be done.

Why businesses are just ****.* IT departments are only called in to fix things, and generally only do what they're told.

IT Departments can make recommendations, but normally in the end, you're right it is management. And wise people in management (and higher) in very successful companies know better.

Could also argue that when you have people in business management...

I know a defense contractor who still uses punch cards for aircraft that are still in commission. Everything is on punch cards. Parts, Blueprints, schematics, notes on the aircraft. :) :)

Does this mean they are do not invest in new infrastructure and technology? Hardly.

If the current infrastructure prevents the organization from accomplishing its mission without fail, then it needs to be upgraded. Your punch card example demonstrates a technology that still works for the company that is using it. However, if you take that same technology and implement it into, lets say a Theme Park, it would most likely fail.

With that said, what if one day there is a fire and all those punch cards are destroyed. What happens next?

Adam, you make it sound like it is easy to make change happen at a large company. :)

Who are these companies that change large numbers of computer programs to stay up to date and are they hiring? :p

I know a defense contractor who still uses punch cards for aircraft that are still in commission. Everything is on punch cards. Parts, Blueprints, schematics, notes on the aircraft. :) :)

Does this mean they are do not invest in new infrastructure and technology? Hardly.

I'm not going to pretend to know anything about the I.T industry because I don't. But it seems like companies just enjoy being left behind, and making things difficult instead of advancing and in the long run making it easier I'm assuming. I'm not trying to get into a pissing contest with the I.T experts in this thread but ask yourself, with an upgraded system wouldn't those punchcards look so much better with text-shadow support with the improved uptodate technology? :D :LOL:

Sorry my sense of humor today is at an all time low and it shows just how much I know which is nothing about the I.T industry.

I never said anything about how many copies of these punch cards they have. I believe your assumption was only one set per aircraft, which is clearly incorrect. :)

So they put parts, blueprints, schematics, and notes on multiple punch cards? Seems a bit time consuming and a waste of resources. In that case, I would dare to say it is in their best interest to upgrade their method.

Adam, you make it sound like it is easy to make change happen at a large company. :)

Who are these companies that change large numbers of computer programs to stay up to date and are they hiring? :p

As software development company owner, I see the value in making sure software we develop is not co-dependent on third party sources (or at least keeping the relationship to a minimum). However, as I'm sure you would agree, large companies that are not tech savvy, do not understand the technical aspects and dangers of relying on third party applications. While it may be painful and expensive at first, companies need to update their infrastructure to make maintenance and future updating much easier, not to mention security. Look at how long it has taken some organizations to migrate away from Windows XP and IE6/7.

So they put parts, blueprints, schematics, and notes on multiple punch cards? Seems a bit time consuming and a waste of resources. In that case, I would dare to say it is in their best interest to upgrade their method.

Key detail missing: Defense contractor. There could very well be blueprints classified as "Top Secret". One simply can not digitize all those blueprints because they feel like it. You still need to develop proper access controls and security controls to protect that information from people without proper clearance. Or from foreign national governments

Let's not forget we do not a want a repeat of the Chengdu J-20, which strangely resembles the F-22 and F-35 :rolleyes:

Key detail missing: Defense contractor. There could very well be blueprints classified as "Top Secret". One simply can not digitize all those blueprints because they feel like it. You still need to develop proper access controls and security controls to protect that information from people without proper clearance. Or from foreign national governments
Which are already in place for TS and SCI documents on the JWICS network.

Top Bottom