jQuery 1.5 Released

Status
Not open for further replies.

Romchik®

http://blog.jquery.com/2011/01/31/jquery-15-released/
Right on schedule jQuery 1.5 is ready for consumption!

This release has been a long time coming and has been a real team effort. Please take this opportunity to thank members of the jQuery Team and the jQuery bug triage team for their help in getting this release out the door.

Downloading

As usual, we provide two copies of jQuery, one minified and one uncompressed (for debugging or reading).
You can feel free to include the above URLs directly into your site and you will get the full performance benefits of a quickly-loading jQuery.

Additionally you can also load the URLs directly from Microsoft and Google’s CDNs:
Microsoft CDN: http://ajax.microsoft.com/ajax/jQuery/jquery-1.5.min.js
Google CDN: https://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/1.5.0/jquery.min.js (Note: This URL is not live at, at the time of this blog post, but should be up soon.)

About The Release

This release saw 83 fixed bugs and a total of 460 closed tickets.

The test suite (which now has 4437 tests) passes in all the browsers that jQuery supports – and more. We verified the suite passing all of the following browsers:
  • Safari 5.0.3 / 4.0.5 / 3.2.3 / 3.1.2
  • Opera 11.01 / 11 / 10.63 / 10.54 / 10.10 / 9.64
  • IE 6 / 7 / 8
  • Firefox 4.0b9 / 3.6.13 / 3.5.11 / 3.0.19 / 2.0.0.20
  • Chrome 8.0.552.215 / 8.0.552.237 / 9.0.597.67 Beta / 10.0.642.2 Dev
Additionally all of the API documentation for the release can be found on the API site: jQuery 1.5 API Documentation.

A full schedule of our upcoming releases can be found on our roadmap. Right now we’re planning on doing major jQuery releases more frequently (likely a couple times a year, rather than once per year).
When we can see the new version of jQuery in XF?
rolleyes.png

It's unlikely that we'd switch to a major new version of jQuery this late in the development process. 1.4.4 is working nicely, so unless we see significant fixes for bugs that affect us, we're unlikely to switch to jQuery 1.5.0 before XenForo 1.0.0.

It's unlikely that we'd switch to a major new version of jQuery this late in the development process. 1.4.4 is working nicely, so unless we see significant fixes for bugs that affect us, we're unlikely to switch to jQuery 1.5.0 before XenForo 1.0.0.

Fair enough! :)

Better not to invite unseen bugs in the about to release package. But after 1.0.0 releases, it might be a good time to keep up with the latest jQuery release. :)

imho i think now is the time to update to a major release of jquery since xf is still in the dev stage or at least haven't gone gold yet. would you rather face potential bugs now or later when the product goes final ?

imho i think now is the time to update to a major release of jquery since xf is still in the dev stage or at least haven't gone gold yet. would you rather face potential bugs now or later when the product goes final ?
Or continue to use the current version which they know works with XenForo as it is, release 1.0.0, and then work on integrating and making necessary changes for a later version when they upgrade jQuery.

I think they have made the right decision on this.

Having just run some very simple tests with XenForo running jQuery 1.5, the jQuery Tools Tooltip system is dead, so that pretty much knocks on the head any prospect of switching to 1.5 right now.

I see that everyone's favourite ridiculous troll has sought to stir up controversy with a comment on this thread:
MRGTBzzzzzz said:
It looks like Kier Darby from XenForo has flat-out refused to upgrade the older version of jQuery 1.4.4 that the forum software uses now, to the newer "just released" jQuery 1.5.

A person in that thread posted information about a newer version of jQuery 1.5 released, with Kier Darby quick to reply saying they would not be updating the XenForo community software to it. Later another member replied in that same thread saying: "that he thinks they should upgrade to it", seeing as XenForo is still in the development stage and is not even Gold status yet. That now is the ideal time to do, more than any-other time while it's still is under early development.

But it looks like his comments fell on deaf ears after Kier said he'd carried out a quick test and the "Tool Tip"[feature was broken using the new jQuery 1.5. I must admit, I was a little surprised to see Kier dismiss upgrading XenForo to a new version of jQuery so readily out of hand like that.
Let's go back over the arguments for the benefit of our intellectually-challenged tabloid friend.

Will we move to jQuery 1.5 now?
No, XenForo is in a release candidate stage and it would be inappropriate to replace a core component (that is working perfectly well) with a newer version without extensive testing.​

So why not test it so you can move?
I did test it, and within minutes it became apparent that the tooltip library on which XenForo's tooltip system is based is incompatible with jQuery 1.5.​

Does this mean that we're stuck with jQuery 1.4.4 forever?
Of course not. We will be on the lookout for an update to jQuery Tools that fixes the tooltip issue, and will look to switch over to jQuery 1.5 after XenForo 1.0.0 has been released.​

I see that everyone's favourite ridiculous troll has sought to stir up controversy with a comment on this thread:
I'm really surprised anyone even visits his forum. Well, maybe not. His ridiculous posts are quite humorous to read :D

Screen shot 2011-02-01 at 20.11.46.webp

I've screen-grabbed these posts so that this discussion remains relevant after our friend has wiped and reinstalled his forum, which on past form will likely happen in the next few days. Anyway, for the benefit of those still reading this nonsense and expecting a reply...

he should maybe have thought twice about saying what he went and said
Err... no.

how he's trying to "cover-up his own previous mistake now"
Err... what? Which mistake would that be, you ridiculous little man?

I anticipate another pebble-dashing of 'posts' in response to this one as he scrambles to make himself look less of a waste of organic material. Good luck with that.

View attachment 10283

I've screen-grabbed these posts so that this discussion remains relevant after our friend has wiped and reinstalled his forum, which on past form will likely happen in the next few days. Anyway, for the benefit of those still reading this nonsense and expecting a reply...

he should maybe have thought twice about saying what he went and said
Err... no.

how he's trying to "cover-up his own previous mistake now"
Err... what? Which mistake would that be, you ridiculous little man?

I anticipate another pebble-dashing of 'posts' in response to this one as he scrambles to make himself look less of a waste of organic material. Good luck with that.

Lol, I prefer the term "A waste of skin", regardless of whether it is organic or not :)

I can't be 100% certain that he has skin.

To be honest it does make me laugh, he has created more forums than I have had hot dinners and I am knocking on 43 years old. It has been fun to read his comments over at VB and here at XF HQ. Still, waste of skin still applies. Bless him.

I'm so out of the loop on this. Kier has stated his reasons and we should listen to them. Hell, we trusted him enough to give him our money!

I have no idea who that dude is, what his site is or anything else having to do with his history. I'll care if there's a reason to...but I don't see one right now.

True to form, post 4 has been edited. I won't even bother to comment this time, make up your own minds.

Screen shot 2011-02-01 at 22.06.43.webp

Does anyone here think that moving now to a major new version of jQuery and potentially introducing a swathe of new bugs from undocumented backward compatibility issues (especially when we at release candidate stage and are concentrating on cleaning up bugs) is a good idea?

True to form, post 4 has been edited. I won't even bother to comment this time, make up your own minds.

View attachment 10286

Does anyone here think that moving now to a major new version of jQuery and potentially introducing a swathe of new bugs from undocumented backward compatibility issues (especially when we at release candidate stage and are concentrating on cleaning up bugs) is a good idea?

Of course not, working for a multi-million pound Company I know that we would never ever move to a new version of a component so close to a release. Ignore him, he knows nothing of working in an Enterprise environment and the things that you are doing show that you know what is best for your Company and your Customers.

No way. The software that I am building is using 1.4.4 still, and I do NOT intend on upgrading to 1.5 until a later version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom