1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

jQuery 1.5 Released

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Romchik®, Jan 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Romchik®

Romchik® Well-Known Member

http://blog.jquery.com/2011/01/31/jquery-15-released/
    When we can see the new version of jQuery in XF? [​IMG]

2. Kier

Kier XenForo Developer Staff Member

It's unlikely that we'd switch to a major new version of jQuery this late in the development process. 1.4.4 is working nicely, so unless we see significant fixes for bugs that affect us, we're unlikely to switch to jQuery 1.5.0 before XenForo 1.0.0.

Puntocom, CyberAP, jasetaro and 4 others like this.
  3. ibnesayeed

ibnesayeed Well-Known Member

Fair enough! :)

Better not to invite unseen bugs in the about to release package. But after 1.0.0 releases, it might be a good time to keep up with the latest jQuery release. :)

AlexandrosD likes this.
  4. majdi

majdi Well-Known Member

imho i think now is the time to update to a major release of jquery since xf is still in the dev stage or at least haven't gone gold yet. would you rather face potential bugs now or later when the product goes final ?

AlexandrosD likes this.
  5. jmurrayhead

jmurrayhead Well-Known Member

Or continue to use the current version which they know works with XenForo as it is, release 1.0.0, and then work on integrating and making necessary changes for a later version when they upgrade jQuery.

I think they have made the right decision on this.

Sadik B, Peggy, Darkimmortal and 2 others like this.
  6. Kier

Having just run some very simple tests with XenForo running jQuery 1.5, the jQuery Tools Tooltip system is dead, so that pretty much knocks on the head any prospect of switching to 1.5 right now.

AlexandrosD likes this.
  7. Kier

I see that everyone's favourite ridiculous troll has sought to stir up controversy with a comment on this thread:
    Let's go back over the arguments for the benefit of our intellectually-challenged tabloid friend.

Will we move to jQuery 1.5 now?
    No, XenForo is in a release candidate stage and it would be inappropriate to replace a core component (that is working perfectly well) with a newer version without extensive testing.​

So why not test it so you can move?
    I did test it, and within minutes it became apparent that the tooltip library on which XenForo's tooltip system is based is incompatible with jQuery 1.5.​

Does this mean that we're stuck with jQuery 1.4.4 forever?
    Of course not. We will be on the lookout for an update to jQuery Tools that fixes the tooltip issue, and will look to switch over to jQuery 1.5 after XenForo 1.0.0 has been released.​

Green Cat, Puntocom, Shelley and 18 others like this.
  8. Peggy

Peggy Well-Known Member

Didn't take him long....

9. jmurrayhead

I'm really surprised anyone even visits his forum. Well, maybe not. His ridiculous posts are quite humorous to read :D

10. dabollicks

dabollicks Active Member

It's a lonely place on his forum. Has he got nothing better to do?

11. a legacy reborn

a legacy reborn Well-Known Member

wow...even my lonely forum has more activity than that :) now I don't feel all that bad

Peggy likes this.
  12. Kier

Screen shot 2011-02-01 at 20.11.46.png

I've screen-grabbed these posts so that this discussion remains relevant after our friend has wiped and reinstalled his forum, which on past form will likely happen in the next few days. Anyway, for the benefit of those still reading this nonsense and expecting a reply...

he should maybe have thought twice about saying what he went and said
    Err... no.

how he's trying to "cover-up his own previous mistake now"
    Err... what? Which mistake would that be, you ridiculous little man?

I anticipate another pebble-dashing of 'posts' in response to this one as he scrambles to make himself look less of a waste of organic material. Good luck with that.

13. Deebs

Deebs Well-Known Member

Lol, I prefer the term "A waste of skin", regardless of whether it is organic or not :)

14. Kier

I can't be 100% certain that he has skin.

jasetaro and dabollicks like this.
  15. Deebs

Deebs Well-Known Member

To be honest it does make me laugh, he has created more forums than I have had hot dinners and I am knocking on 43 years old. It has been fun to read his comments over at VB and here at XF HQ. Still, waste of skin still applies. Bless him.

16. John

John Well-Known Member

Who is he talking to, himself? [​IMG]

17. Edrondol

Edrondol Well-Known Member

I'm so out of the loop on this. Kier has stated his reasons and we should listen to them. Hell, we trusted him enough to give him our money!

I have no idea who that dude is, what his site is or anything else having to do with his history. I'll care if there's a reason to...but I don't see one right now.

Peggy likes this.
  18. Kier

True to form, post 4 has been edited. I won't even bother to comment this time, make up your own minds.

Screen shot 2011-02-01 at 22.06.43.png

Does anyone here think that moving now to a major new version of jQuery and potentially introducing a swathe of new bugs from undocumented backward compatibility issues (especially when we at release candidate stage and are concentrating on cleaning up bugs) is a good idea?

19. Deebs

Deebs Well-Known Member

Of course not, working for a multi-million pound Company I know that we would never ever move to a new version of a component so close to a release. Ignore him, he knows nothing of working in an Enterprise environment and the things that you are doing show that you know what is best for your Company and your Customers.

Kier likes this.
  20. jmurrayhead

No way. The software that I am building is using 1.4.4 still, and I do NOT intend on upgrading to 1.5 until a later version.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.