Translation Japanese Language Pack

OwenJames

Hi

I need a Japanese Language Pack, and have searched for one, to no avail, so I have decided to take matters into my own hands and make one.

Now, I realise putting together a full language pack is a lengthy task, so I wanted to ask how it has been done with other languages...

I was considering opening up the pack to others in a bid to get a collaborative effort going, and I wondered about the logistics of going such a thing.

So, any feedback or advise on this would be very welcome.

Of course, once complete, this language pack will be added to the rest for sharing.

Serious apologies for the late reply. Please PM me about this. I believe you contacted the other person I run a website with about this already, but it would be good to speak to you directly about this. I have set everything up for translation, and have had a few contributors working on it already but need to push on with it, so please get in contact. Thanks.

Any movement on this? I have done a lot of the translating at my end, but could still use more help / input...

I'm not familiar with japanese at all, but from my experience language packs translated by one person only (given his/her knowledge are above school level of course) usually have a better quality than language packs with multiple contributors. Different people usually have different styles/preferences on how they translate stuff.

There absolutely is! It is being worked on right this minute. The problem is, that the people who are working on it are a little flaky, and come and go, but I have got the whole thing set up in Google Drive open for people to dip in and translate whichever part they want to.

If anyone wants to join in this translation, mention so here and I will invite you into the Google Drive folder with the files in.

I have split the phrases.xml document up into Alphabetical sections, to make the task less daunting and easier to follow. Once all the parts are translated, I will reassemble it as a single .xml file and share.

Cheers, and again, if you or anyone you know wants to get involved in this, please do say and I will invite you into the folder.

Thanks.

No problem. Please rest assured it IS getting worked on, and will be released at some point in the near future. As I say, the problem is, people tend to be a bit flaky when it comes to work and computing in Japan, with computer literacy skills being way lower than other places, so finding people to start and actually carry on with the project, who have the language skills and also the time, and computer skills to do so is not easy.

Hope that is reasonable.

Cheers

No problem. Please rest assured it IS getting worked on, and will be released at some point in the near future. As I say, the problem is, people tend to be a bit flaky when it comes to work and computing in Japan, with computer literacy skills being way lower than other places, so finding people to start and actually carry on with the project, who have the language skills and also the time, and computer skills to do so is not easy.

Hope that is reasonable.

Cheers
Hi Owen.
Thanks for your work on this.
I'd like to have some try on the translation.
For me, English and Japanese are not native languages either, but I'm a Professional interpreter on Japanese.
Hope I can help.
eroica.zhao@gmail.com

Big thanks to eroica for the work done on the language pack so far. Really great!

If anyone else wants to get involved, please do! As little or as much as you want to do is fine.

Hello,
Any Any movement? I would like to give it a try
(Japanese is not my mother tongue but I have exprience of traslating vbulletin in to Japanese:))

Hello everyone.

Over a year has passed, and finally me and my small group of translators are nearing completion!!! Massive thanks to @GrantT :)

We will be complete in the next few days (I have a number of people working on each letter, A, B, C etc.) At that point, I will assemble everything into the single .xml file and upload it here.

This has taken AGES because Japanese people are (sorry) generally techno-illiterate / don't want to do stuff like this, so finding a group of people willing to help has been the main challenge.

Anyway, I will get it uploaded soon, in very much a version 1.0 format, and will let you all check it out.

Will use this thread for all corrections and feedback on the language which I can assure you right now will not be perfect yet.

Last edited:
Right,

We have finished the first stage of this, and now have the language pack installed and live on our site.

From here we will test it and get feedback on the language used and also make sure it all works properly with the layout, etc.

Once we fine tune it and make sure it all works properly, I will export the final version and make an official release on here for anyone to download and use.

At this point, if anyone wants to see this in action, send me a PM and I will link you to the site it is installed in.

Cheers!

Bit of an update.

We are still working through getting everything checked and perfected. We are making constant progress on this, and it is looking close to completion. I want to get it perfect though, before we publish it here for everyone. Also, I want to include translations for a few of the major popular 3rd party add-ons, such as the XenPorta front end, and Media Gallery system. We will do this and are working on it now, so please be patient and we will get it finished asap.

Again, if you want to see it in action, PM me and I will link you to the site.

Cheers!

Top Bottom