Japan just hit by magnitude 8.9 earthquake

While there has been an explosion at the plant, the feeds coming out if the nuclear organizations (NOT the media) indicate there is NO radiation leak/NO meltdown of the rods.

So you trust e.g. Tepco (operator of the plant) who lied for 16 years? Faked reports, inspections not made and their nuclear plants were shut down 2002...

So you trust e.g. Tepco (operator of the plant) who lied for 16 years? Faked reports, inspections not made and their nuclear plants were shut down 2002...
No, I trust the inspectors on the ground and believe me, they have them there. If the WNO is as fast as the NRC, they were in there before the first earthquake was over.

There are independent organisations monitoring the situation as well as the reports coming from the plant. Had there been a meltdown or the situation gone out of control the plants workers would have been evacuated and the situation would be made well aware by the nuclear regulations commitie.

Government spokesman says the nuclear reactor container at the Fukushima-Daiichi plant has not been damaged, and the level of radiation has dropped following the explosion earlier on Saturday, AFP reports

I was in an earthquake in 1999 in Turkey, Adapazarı. It hit us middle in the night and I can't describe how terrified we were not to mention all the casualties both at my family and town. My heart and prayers go to all who was affected in this terrible tragedy.

Explosion at Japan nuke plant, disaster toll rises -

By ERIC TALMADGE and YURI KAGEYAMA, Associated Press – 6 mins ago

IWAKI, Japan – An explosion at a nuclear power station Saturday destroyed a building housing the reactor, but a radiation leak was decreasing despite fears of a meltdown from damage caused by a powerful earthquake and tsunami, officials said.

Government spokesman Yukio Edano said the explosion destroyed the exterior walls of the building where the reactor is placed, but not the actual metal housing enveloping the reactor. That was welcome news for a country suffering from Friday's double disaster that pulverized the northeastern coast, leaving at least 574 people dead by official count.

The scale of destruction was not yet known, but there were grim signs that the death toll could soar. One report said four whole trains had disappeared Friday and still not been located. Local media reports said at least 1,300 people may have been killed.

Edano said the radiation around the Fukushima Dai-ichi plant had not risen after the blast, but had in fact decreased. He did not say why that was so. The pressure in the reactor was also decreasing after the blast, he said.

The explosion was preceded by puff of white smoke that gathered intensity until it became a huge cloud enveloping the entire facility, located in Fukushima, 20 miles (30 kilometers) from Iwaki. After the explosion, the walls of the building crumbled, leaving only a skeletal metal frame.

Read more...

Update 11:56 PM JST -- From Central Tokyo...

- Trains are starting run almost on schedule with the exception of the express/long distance trains.
- We're still getting constant tremors. At least one per hour if not more frequent, some stronger than others.
- Most people are watching the power plant issues at Fukushima very closely. We've not been told to do anything specific in this region.
- Power, Internet, Cell Phones, Water & Gas - have remained stable through the day. (IP calls overseas are more reliable than regular land line or cell phone calls overseas at this point)
- It's getting harder to get food in some areas. Restock deliveries are delayed...
- Restaurants without enough stock are closed.

About to turn in for the evening and see what tomorrow brings.

Update 11:56 PM JST -- From Central Tokyo...

- Trains are starting run almost on schedule with the exception of the express/long distance trains.
- We're still getting constant tremors. At least one per hour if not more frequent, some stronger than others.
- Most people are watching the power plant issues at Fukushima very closely. We've not been told to do anything specific in this region.
- Power, Internet, Cell Phones, Water & Gas - have remained stable through the day. (IP calls overseas are more reliable than regular land line or cell phone calls overseas at this point)
- It's getting harder to get food in some areas. Restock deliveries are delayed...
- Restaurants without enough stock are closed.

About to turn in for the evening and see what tomorrow brings.

News is just saying they are not concerned with saving the power plant in question anymore and are looking at flooding the chambers with seawater to cool it down.

Stay safe, hope tomrow brings better news for you. I have been in contact with my many friends in niigata and they say its "business as usual" for them.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/as_japan_earthquake

Nuclear plant blows up, published about 10 minutes ago !!

Among the most worrying developments was the possible meltdown of a nuclear reactor near the quake's epicenter. Edano said an explosion caused by vented hydrogen gas destroyed the exterior walls of the building where the reactor is, but not the actual metal housing enveloping the reactor.

Edano said the radiation around the Fukushima Dai-ichi plant had not risen after the blast, but had in fact decreased. He did not say why that was so. He added that pressure decreased after the blast.
Still, virtually any increase in ambient radiation can raise long-term cancer rates, and authorities were planning to distribute iodine, which helps protect against thyroid cancer.

Authorities have also evacuated people from a 12-mile (20-kilometer) radius around the reactor.

There goes the nuclear industry argument that nuclear power is safe and is the solution to our energy future !!

Don't allow the liars in the nuclear power industry to fool you folks, because that is their business, they are born pathological liars.

ERIC TALMADGE and YURI KAGEYAMA, Associated Press Eric Talmadge And Yuri Kageyama, Associated Press – 29 mins ago

I said the story was published 10 minutes ago, no idea about the exact time of the blow up, the story says Saturday.

I think some of you are understating the extreme danger quite a bit !!

The explosion was caused by hydrogen interacting with oxygen outside the reactor. The hydrogen was formed when the superheated fuel rods came in contact with water being poured over it to prevent a meltdown.

"They are working furiously to find a solution to cool the core, and this afternoon in Europe we heard that they have begun to inject sea water into the core," said Mark Hibbs, a senior associate at the Nuclear Policy Program for the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace. "That is an indication of how serious the problem is and how the Japanese had to resort to unusual and improvised solutions to cool the reactor core."

Officials have said that radiation levels were elevated before the blast: At one point, the plant was releasing each hour the amount of radiation a person normally absorbs from the environment each year.

The explosion was preceded by puff of white smoke that gathered intensity until it became a huge cloud enveloping the entire facility, located in Fukushima, 20 miles (30 kilometers) from Iwaki. After the explosion, the walls of the building crumbled, leaving only a skeletal metal frame.

Tokyo Power Electric Co., the utility that runs the Fukushima Dai-ichi plant, said four workers suffered fractures and bruises and were being treated at a hospital.

The trouble began at the plant's Unit 1 after the massive 8.9-magnitude earthquake and the tsunami it spawned knocked out power there, depriving it of its cooling system.

ERIC TALMADGE and YURI KAGEYAMA, Associated Press Eric Talmadge And Yuri Kageyama, Associated Press – 29 mins ago

I said the story was published 10 minutes ago, no idea about the exact time of the blow up, the story says Saturday.

The story broke on the BBC news when I was having breakfast, around 8am this morning, it's now gone 5pm in the UK. There was a few hours of worry before it was confirmed that the reactor remains fairly stable and they now plan to cool it with sea water.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Nope.

According to the experts the danger was greatest yesterday, despite the reactors closing down they continue to generate heat and sadly the water cooling system failed, due to power failure AND back-up generator failure, however the heat and therefore the risk of danger reduces as each hour passes.

The failure of the cooling system is why they are trying other methods of cooling the reactor faster than it would by itself, it was these attempts that resulted in a building blowing-up, and this had no effect on the reactor itself!

The reports now are they have given up on any plans to save the reactor and bring it back online and instead they intend to flood it with seawater.

Of course, there is still some risk of things going pear-shaped, but the explosion of around 10 hours ago has no impact on the final outcome.

No, we aren't. I think most of us are well aware what a core meltdown means and how devastating the outcome can be - after all, we remember Chernobyl and those who don't have most likely heard of it and the bloody details are all over the net for those who care.

Also, we can assume that they are doing /everything/ possible to prevent the reactor from blowing up and we also know that the Japanese are among the most competent people on earth when it comes to technical things.

The explosion only blew up the outer building and according to reports, it did not damage the inner reactor containment - as long as this extremely robust construction can maintain its integrity, the accident will be controllable even though the reactor may be lost completely.

If it breaks, the worst case may happen, but I really hope it won't. These containment buildings are designed to withstand the impact of a large, fully loaded, aircraft without even taking a single fracture.

Side note: The reactor that blew up in Chernobyl was designed without a containment hull. If it was built "western style", the outcome might have been far less disastrous.

Also, we can assume that they are doing /everything/ possible to prevent the reactor from blowing up and we also know that the Japanese are among the most competent people on earth when it comes to technical things.

Exactly this. Nobody, especially those on site will be underestimating the damage that can cause if this reactor blows. However that said, as the rods cool down, and the hours go by, the situation becomes easier to contain. Yes it is still very serious but the reality is:

A catastrohpic meltdown was most likely to occur when the earthquake hit if the failsafes did not kick the control rods into the core.

If there was any sign of a meltdown in the aftermath they would have already flooded the core with seawater opposed to attempting the controlled release which caused the explosioned earlier, thats why the plants are always built next to the sea / large lakes.

Top Bottom