XF 2.2 I've Made A Mess!

btmgreg

Desperately need some help from you guys (and gals)

I've moved my forum directory (which was /discussion) to root. I've followed Brogans guide. Some things seem okay, others not -

If I visit

www.site.com/discussion - it will change it to www.forum.com

-I would like to retain the forum URL being www.site.com/discussion instead of www.site.com/forums
-Home Tab remain at root of site www.site.com
-Threads/posts are fine being served from www.site.com/threads/ as long as they re-direct to there from the previous www.site.com/discussion/threads/

I've tried to change this, and have ended up with odd re-directs and strange behaviour.

I tried a different option where I created a route filter for forums/ > discussion/ - It did not work. I took out the httaccess re-write when I did this to make sure I was doing it right.

I tried renaming the navigation option to discussion instead of forums, it didn't work.

What would you suggest? If there's an alternative option - please let me know. I'm also concerned about SEO, though I guess the re-write for httaccess helps?

Thanks

I'm not really following.

You've moved the site to the root but you still want a sub directory in the URL?

If you want the URL to be site.com/discussion instead of site.com/forums, then just rename the discussion directory on the server to forums.

Then update the board URL to the new URL - site.com/forums.

You will need redirection if you want indexed URLs to automatically redirect.

I'd like the homepage, the installation root to be www.site.com - but when visiting the forums themselves, when clicking on my 'forums/discussion' tab, I'd like the URL for the board listing to be www.site.com/discussion - effectively keeping the homepage on the root, and the forum listing on /discussion/

I'm fine with keeping the threads served from site.com/threads/ if that's how it is, but the forums, I'd like to be site.com/discussion rather than the current site.com/forums

In that case XF needs to be installed in the domain root if you want the add-on to be the root URL - site.com.
With the Index page route in the options being set to the recommended value for the add-on.

XF will then automatically use /forums for the forums route.
You can change that using a route filter to discussion.

1609353805203.png

That's what I've done. XF is in the domain root, the board setting URL in the ACP is www.behind-the-mask.net

When I've added the route filter for

forums/
discussion/

When going to /discussion, it seems to just re-direct to the root/home page. Not quite sure why. I was wondering if it's because of the rewrite file.

Thanks Brogan btw :)

So I've re-enabled the forum / discussion route filter and added home to the index page route.

I'm still getting the same issue. When clicking on the discussion tab from the site route, the page just refreshes and doesn't actually go to the forums.

This is a headache :/ Sorry if I'm misunderstanding.

Did anyone else have any ideas on how to mitigate this issue I have?

I want /discussion instead of /forums for board index. Have tried multiple ways as per this thread, but it seems to break other things.

Thanks

Top Bottom