It's SuperBowl time!! Who do you like?

Thank God the Steelers lost, I could not stand having them tell us how much greater they are than they were last year any longer !!!

Sorry guys, old Browns fans don't have much love for you terrible towel waving _____s !!!

PS: Remember the immortal Joe Jones guys ??? :eek:

Heard a very touching Superbowl story on the local Dallas radio station yesterday.

The sportscaster for WBAP was covering the Superbowl for the radio station. Just before halftime, in a stadium filled beyond capacity, we noticed an empty seat on the second row of the 50 yard line.

He introduced himself to the man in the seat beside and asked why it was empty. The elderly gentleman from Pittsburg explained that he and his wife had been tot he last 11 superbowls, but that she had recently passed away. The seat was empty as a tribute to her.

Touched, voice slightly trembling, the sportcaster spoke about what a loving gesture that was, but asked if there wasn't a relative or close friend who would have liked to have come as well.

"No", the man replied, "they're all at the funeral."

read the declaration of independence
crap on about 9/11
sing national anthem
michael douglas speech about america
crap on about 9/11
marching band playing patriot music
crap on about katrina
sing a second national anthem
air force jets overhead
crap on about 9/11
speeches from ppl in iraq

do they actually play a game?
its no wonder americans are so blindly nationalistic.
this reminds me of an eastern european may day celebration!

I'll give you my take on the Superbowl opening ceremonies.

Reading the Declaration of Independence is a good reminder for those is Washington that government has exceeded our limits before and is tapdancing on our last raw nerve again...

The singing of America the Beautiful and the National Anthem was a travesty. No, an embarrassment. The diamond formation also upset me. A country at war ALWAYS performs the "missing man" formation at flyovers.

I was angry before the game ever began.

I have brought home friends in flag covered caskets, I've had to write letters to the families of men under my command that I've lost. I've handed the flag over to weeping mothers, fathers and wives, thanking them on behalf of a greatful nation, knowing our expression of gratitude pales in comparision to their pain. I've carried our flag into many battles on my shoulder and on our aircraft's tail. I've served among the finest men and women that have ever worn the uniform and seen their selfless sacrifice first hand. And as a hospital chaplain after leaving active duty, I've see the generation before me in VA hospitals approaching their final hours, and the generation that served after me learning how to live with missing limbs.

So believe me when I tell you that performing our nation's anthem isn't a chance to put your own style on it. it is an honor afforded you, so please sing it as scored. I personally believe that the Superbowl would be best served by rotating this honor between the service choirs: Army, Air Force, Navy, Marines, Coast Guard. That would mean far more to me than the celeb dejoure.

And no, my friend, we're not blindly nationalistic. We know too well our failings as a people and a government. What stirs in our hearts is the belief that the nation has the potential to rise higher that the people who currently reside and govern it at any given time. We have seen moments when it happens and it gives us hope.

And here's the kicker. The freedom we hold so dear, we don't guard as a treasure. It is something we aspire to share with all mankind because we don't look at it as an American birthright, it is the birthright that comes with being human, part of the dignity inherent in every human person.

I personally believe that the Superbowl would be best served by rotating this honor between the service choirs: Army, Air Force, Navy, Marines, Coast Guard. That would mean far more to me than the celeb dejoure.

Someone on my CG spouse forum suggested this too. They had the AF choir there, I'm sure they would have done a superb job and not messed it up.

I'll give you my take on the Superbowl opening ceremonies.

Reading the Declaration of Independence is a good reminder for those is Washington that government has exceeded our limits before and is tapdancing on our last raw nerve again...

The singing of America the Beautiful and the National Anthem was a travesty. No, an embarrassment. The diamond formation also upset me. A country at war ALWAYS performs the "missing man" formation at flyovers.

I was angry before the game ever began.

I have brought home friends in flag covered caskets, I've had to write letters to the families of men under my command that I've lost. I've handed the flag over to weeping mothers, fathers and wives, thanking them on behalf of a greatful nation, knowing our expression of gratitude pales in comparision to their pain. I've carried our flag into many battles on my shoulder and on our aircraft's tail. I've served among the finest men and women that have ever worn the uniform and seen their selfless sacrifice first hand. And as a hospital chaplain after leaving active duty, I've see the generation before me in VA hospitals approaching their final hours, and the generation that served after me learning how to live with missing limbs.

So believe me when I tell you that performing our nation's anthem isn't a chance to put your own style on it. it is an honor afforded you, so please sing it as scored. I personally believe that the Superbowl would be best served by rotating this honor between the service choirs: Army, Air Force, Navy, Marines, Coast Guard. That would mean far more to me than the celeb dejoure.

And no, my friend, we're not blindly nationalistic. We know too well our failings as a people and a government. What stirs in our hearts is the belief that the nation has the potential to rise higher that the people who currently reside and govern it at any given time. We have seen moments when it happens and it gives us hope.

And here's the kicker. The freedom we hold so dear, we don't guard as a treasure. It is something we aspire to share with all mankind because we don't look at it as an American birthright, it is the birthright that comes with being human, part of the dignity inherent in every human person.
Very well said, Fred.

Our National symbols should be given the respect they deserve.

I personally think it would be good to see the various service drill teams ( e.g., Marine Silent Drill Platoon, Air Force Honor Guard, Army Old Guard) perform.

I did like seeing SSG Giunta there (for those who do not know, he is the first living Medal of Honor recipient from the Iraq/Afghanistan wars).

To all the Steelers fans...

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I have a strange feeling the Packers will win.
They did. Mostly because the Stillers couldn't defend their passes, but we nearly pulled through on the last drive. Getting a TD / First Down would have put us a point over the Packers.

Top Bottom