It´s time for some official statement what is going on behind xenforo

• Thread starter Thread starter bogus
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
How about big boards folks take a second and think "Would kier move his site over xenforo if there was any other issues with development ?" I mean common if there are slight issues about future of xenforo i bet he wouldn't risk moving his own site either.

Not necessarily, he could stick with that XenForo version - who knows. Maybe he just wanted to drop vBulletin with everything considered, the court case, Internet Brands and all. It would leave a sour taste in my mouth still using their now owned software if being in his shoes. There could be other reasons is all I'm saying and wouldn't read too much into that one. You could argue then, why not wait till XF 1.2 is out and do it then instead?

I couldn't get my head around, why waste time doing it with that version when we're so far into the second cycle now for XF 1.2 release.

So far I've kept myself from replying but I also have some concerns. We are testing Xenforo for a big board but all what's happening lately doens't give me much comfort.
All I would like to know is wether Xenforo will keep developing. I guess it will but a quick statement would help...

Most of what has been happening lately can be traced back to a certain group fear mongering. Almost all of the speculation and rumors started with this group, then were picked up by other people.

The thing about fear mongering is, to be successful they have to go with something that is slightly true. Yes, XenForo is silent about development... But they've been silent about development for every version other than saying it is in the works. 1.2 is a major re-working, they've released Elastic Search, and they've worked on the Resource Manager. Development will obviously slow, and they're just doing what they've done with previous versions, which is only releasing information when its close to a release (1.2 is slated for sometime Q2, which is very soon).

Brogan has been dealing with the same drama since the original roadmap threads were posted, and it has gotten progressively worse as time went by. Anyone who has to deal with the amount of criticism (Pretty much anything he does was criticized), insults by quite a few, and just the large workload that comes with providing support for a community such as this really can't take it for long when they do so much. He was a volunteer, and he provided better support than I've seen by paid employees at competitor products, so he had no return on his work either.

Most of what has been happening lately can be traced back to a certain group fear mongering. Almost all of the speculation and rumors started with this group, then were picked up by other people.

The thing about fear mongering is, to be successful they have to go with something that is slightly true. Yes, XenForo is silent about development... But they've been silent about development for every version other than saying it is in the works. 1.2 is a major re-working, they've released Elastic Search, and they've worked on the Resource Manager. Development will obviously slow, and they're just doing what they've done with previous versions, which is only releasing information when its close to a release (1.2 is slated for sometime Q2, which is very soon).

Brogan has been dealing with the same drama since the original roadmap threads were posted, and it has gotten progressively worse as time went by. Anyone who has to deal with the amount of criticism (Pretty much anything he does was criticized), insults by quite a few, and just the large workload that comes with providing support for a community such as this really can't take it for long when they do so much. He was a volunteer, and he provided better support than I've seen by paid employees at competitor products, so he had no return on his work either.

You've already managed to get that first Brogan thread deleted, along with posting a silly remark on Brogan's profile (of all places). Why don't you give it a rest FOR ONCE in your life. Your so obviously out to try and incite trouble every time.

You've already managed to get that first Brogan thread deleted, along with posting a silly remark on Brogan's profile (of all places). Why don't you give it rest FOR ONCE in your life. Your so obviously out to try and incite trouble every time.
I had nothing to do with the Brogan thread being deleted, as I only had one post that was really unrelated to it (About what you're doing now in fact), and then was working on a clients project till I went to sleep.

The posts that came after took it off-topic, not mine :rolleyes:.

Hello pot, this is kettle. You're black.

My kettle is red :sneaky:.

I also was going to be moving to Xenforo.
But all this has me worried that they are done for in the courts.

If IB had an actual case, it would have been in the courts already. All IB is doing is stalling whenever the deadline approaches. Their claims are ridiculous, as the code from XenForo and vB are incomparable, not are things like SEO IB's trademarks. IB's claims of being hacked are also pretty ridiculous, as per their own admission, they do not have log records of these hacks.

I'm pretty confident that justice will prevail.

Reactions: fos
Hello pot, this is kettle. You're black.

Maybe, I've never claimed I'm some Angel. But at least I can admit it unlike some who just try and hide behind things, and have no issues being called whatever. I tell things how I see it, if people don't like it so be it. Anyway, let's get back on topic now eh.

Justice will only prevail to the richest of the group.
They will be sued out of existence.

If IB had an actual case, it would have been in the courts already. All IB is doing is stalling whenever the deadline approaches. Their claims are ridiculous, as the code from XenForo and vB are incomparable, not are things like SEO IB's trademarks. IB's claims of being hacked are also pretty ridiculous, as per their own admission, they do not have log records of these hacks.

Maybe, I've never claimed I'm some Angel. But at least I can admit it unlike some who just try and hide behind things, and have no issues being called whatever. I tell things how I see it, if people don't like it so be it. Anyway, let's get back on topic now eh.
There is no topic to get back on to as there was never one to begin with anyway.

The moment Brogan leaves, another one of these threads show up and if you check the thread list, not too far up you will see this. http://xenforo.com/community/threads/threads-asking-for-updates-or-roadmaps-will-be-closed.31070/

Now everyone needs to get out of each other's panties and return to running their own forum, would your members not be a shamed to see all of you running around like children? For shame.

It's OK keep saying IB don't have anything. Thing is though, even if they don't, they still know how to manipulate the legal system to suit them and the millions they can afford to spent on a court case unlike XenForo. Bottom line, we all know what they are doing, but it's working and even Kier admitted in his last announcement it's taking a toll on them.

I rarely read public forums but after seen those posts , I would like to ask a stupid question. Well, two stupid questions. And please don't take it wrong, I don't want to be mean to anybody.

The first post starts with "we, as customers, ...", but aren't we more than that ? I mean, of course we are of course customers, no doubt about it. But I would have thought that we were first administrators of forums, which should imply to be quite busy managing our own forums. I am always very surprised to see so many administrators spending so much of their time debating, no matter the subject deserves it or not. Of course, as administrators, it's logical to be worried to know if the script we're working on will be still supported in the future. But with XenForo, we already knew where we were going. We all knew the trial will be sooner or later a problem. Choosing XenForo meant we didn't only trust their developers but also meant we decided to put our faith on the judicial system. And if some you didn't know about that trial, well, sorry but you're not very serious administrators.

We have been given fresh news about the trial. We know that developers need to take time preparing their trial. We also know that developers keep the money their earn to pay this trial. I suppose we all know that a trial is very expensive, not matter the country, and very time consuming. I suppose we can, as administrators, imagine how hard it must be for the developers. Of course, some of you could say than as customers it's not our concern. It both true and wrong. Why wrong? Because if independent workers (developers) don't feel supported, they might just give up. They've got a life and they've got families. Of course they want "to live from their passion" (that expression sounds too frenchy, sorry) but if that passion is a threat for their families, they won't take that risk and at the end the ones claiming for their "rights" will be screwed. When someone is ill, asking him every day if he feels better is no going to make him feel better.

So let's focus on what we really needed now, both as administrators and customers:
  • A good script ; we already have it.
  • A good support ; I didn't use official support yet (except for piracy report), but according to what I see in others XenForo forums, support is providing.
  • Updates if security holes were found ; I haven't been informed about a security breach

So here is my second question: why this thread? No offence, but it looks like "trolling" for me or what we called in French "un caprice d'enfant gâté". Let's go back to our own forums and lets developers deal with their problems without adding unproductive pressure on them.

I have never responded to one of these threads because they are beyond stupid. People need to understand and do their research before buying a product, I personally knew all the risks of buying this software and have made multiple purchases and plan to make more in the next month or so for my biggest project yet. People compliment me on my beautiful forum on a daily basis and ask me what "xenforo" is and I tell them. I tell them about the risks and the danger but I also tell them about the Pros and I tell them that I still fully recommend them any way, I know that I am in extremely capable hands and if Xenforo loses then so be it, I knew the risks and so did the people I recommended this too and or came here on their own.

Regardless of what happens I had the best experience that I could not even dream of when I was using vBulletin. Should Xenforo go down I will not be returning to them, I will dance in the ashes of my burnt vbulletin licenses while I looking at IPB like a parent does when they disowned their child. For more after this, should anything go wrong is to return to PHPBB or SMF or MYBB.

Quit your *****ing people, you are not entitled to anything. You came here knowing the risks just as I did, and you are entitled to just as much as I am, which is just the right to use the license you brought, should you not renew, then you lose the right to use the next version and can only use the last version your expired license was able to use. THIS IS ALL THAT IS really guaranteed to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom