It´s time for some official statement what is going on behind xenforo

• Thread starter Thread starter bogus
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
The statement made is good. Jake Bunce and Slavik joining the team is good.

I think a development update about 1.2 would be really positive currently. Something to show that XenForo is indeed going forward.
Kier has already stated that development is moving forward. That should be good enough.

"development is moving forward. That should be good enough."

Wonder if folks around here would feel the same if that's all vB would say about its development...

In any case, still watching and waiting, with interest. vB5 is pretty much their last shot to get it right. I guess being someone who hasn't taken a side I find it peculiar how folks can have made up their minds with so much up in the air. Forget the court battle, the admittedly low on feature count Xen doesn't seem to have a public roadmap. Which is understandable given the circumstances, but terrifying to those of us looking at this as a livelihood.

I definitely care that the features they do have they do RIGHT. But frankly members could care less. At the end of the day that's what matters. If I need to get a beefier server and/or optimize my current one to give my members what they want while keeping page load speeds acceptable then so be it.

vB is no better, with their focus on trivial features that nobody seems to be asking for but they think it's a good idea to charge extra for... The current mentality gives me little hope that vB5 will be their answer to Xen. That would be nice and competition is always good. But right now we just don't know. vB5 could come out this Winter and make Xenforo look like a first year college programming project. Or it could be a complete money grab.

With all this in play, including the court stuff, I don't see how folks are seeing this as a black and white issue. Am I missing something besides fanboyism on both sides?

"development is moving forward. That should be good enough."

Wonder if folks around here would feel the same if that's all vB would say about its development...

In any case, still watching and waiting, with interest. vB5 is pretty much their last shot to get it right. I guess being someone who hasn't taken a side I find it peculiar how folks can have made up their minds with so much up in the air. Forget the court battle, the admittedly low on feature count Xen doesn't seem to have a public roadmap. Which is understandable given the circumstances, but terrifying to those of us looking at this as a livelihood.

I definitely care that the features they do have they do RIGHT. But frankly members could care less. At the end of the day that's what matters. If I need to get a beefier server and/or optimize my current one to give my members what they want while keeping page load speeds acceptable then so be it.

vB is no better, with their focus on trivial features that nobody seems to be asking for but they think it's a good idea to charge extra for... The current mentality gives me little hope that vB5 will be their answer to Xen. That would be nice and competition is always good. But right now we just don't know. vB5 could come out this Winter and make Xenforo look like a first year college programming project. Or it could be a complete money grab.

With all this in play, including the court stuff, I don't see how folks are seeing this as a black and white issue. Am I missing something besides fanboyism on both sides?

Of course we'd like to know more, but I feel they've given us as much as we can expect as customers, more info would be nice but is not an absolute requirement.

I think we can all agree the staff can do a better job of communicating with their community but from their latest announcement they appear to be working on that, at this point I think we should just give them some time and see where we stand in a couple of weeks.

Can't believe you guys are still going on with this... Ok there has obviously been a delay in the schedule... it's life, it happens... so get over it! What we needed was an assurance that the product isn't going away, which they have given, in as clear language as possible. Development updates in the form of Have you seen vids will obviously come when a feature is ready and finished.

Now that sounds like a good idea. (y)
Agreed, only... in my case I'm giving both some time.

In my mind, it's basically vB5 vs. whatever awesome features Kier and team have in store for launch in the coming months. Plus of course how fast each can make those promises reality and get them to market. We don't know much about either so, it's time to wait :D

Can't believe you guys are still going on with this... Ok there has obviously been a delay in the schedule... it's life, it happens... so get over it! What we needed was an assurance that the product isn't going away, which they have given, in as clear language as possible. Development updates in the form of Have you seen vids will obviously come when a feature is ready and finished.

Whooaaa ... relax ... no one is getting wound up about it or going on about it - things are much calmer around here the past few days (which is good), and I think everyone has had their say and we're settling back into waiting to see what comes.

I don't think anyone is nagging any more and that's good to see. :coffee:

The bug queue is getting some love, the personal attacks have stopped, and - personally - I've found XF a pleasure to visit today. A nice change from a week or so ago! :D

As one other member posted earlier today - "Onwards and upwards". (y)

Whooaaa ... relax ... no one is getting wound up about it or going on about it - things are much calmer around here the past few days (which is good), and I think everyone has had their say and we're settling back into waiting to see what comes.

The bug queue is getting some love, the personal attacks have stopped, and - personally - I've found XF a pleasure to visit today. A nice change from a week or so ago! :D

He's highly strung. :LOL:

Lol, I was very relaxed. Now that I re-read that post I see that poor choice of words... :)

I actually came to this thread today after having read the twin announcements when they were made. Was surprised that some people were still arguing over development updates.

Lol, I was very relaxed. Now that I re-read that post I see that poor choice of words... :)

I actually came to this thread today after having read the twin announcements when they were made. Was surprised that some people were still arguing over development updates.

I think Slavik said it well in that as long as they do so without personally attacking anyone and keeping the discussion civil there is no reason why someone shouldn't be able to complain about something they don't feel comfortable with.

That said, I think the last few days have been perfect around here, it seems almost everyone managed to get all of the negativity out of their system :p

I don't think you are missing much. The sad fact is, IMHO, that there is virtually no competition in new and exciting forum sw. VB admittedly dropped the ball, and XF is juggling it and may have dropped a few balls (consistency, reputation, etc.).

You are correct that most of us (long term populated forums) - who I think represent the real opportunity for software writers - are probably more interested in the solution(s) than the products or name brands. If I have to use IPB or VBB in the future - so be it. My users and I will be fine either way.

However, my quick look at the lay of the land over the last couple years seemed to indicate XF was the furthest ahead in terms of a "start from scratch" rewrite of the forum genre....which is why I went in that direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom