Lack of interest Issues With Banned Users Via Warnings

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

digitalpoint

If a user is banned because of warnings, they properly show as banned in the admin area, but when you click on the link to get ban info it looks like so:

Image%202012.02.16%204:35:52%20PM.png

A couple issue with that... first of all the whole blank area for who banned looks bad. I can understand how it may not have been a specific person since it was from warnings, but maybe list the moderators that contributed to the ban, or just remove the "banned by" part of the phrase if it's not possible.

Secondly, it says the ban is permanent even though it's not (I have it set to only have someone banned while their warnings are active... in my test, the warning expires 30 days from now).

There are also some usability issues... say you want to see what warnings the banned user has received. They aren't listed in the admin view of the user, nor is there a link to their public profile (which does show them). Even if you manually search for the user to find their profile, you can't find them because banned users are suppressed from the search results.

It would be nice if the username at the top of the "Edit User" page was a link to their public profile (it would also be nice to have a link to their profile in admin area from their public profile if it's a mod/admin viewing it).

Also, why are we hiding banned users from search results if it's a mod/admin doing the searching (someone who has permission to view their profile while banned)?

Upvote 5
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
Yes, great suggestions, I don't know how many times as an admin I've been looking for information on a user that was banned, or why they were banned, and not being able to find them in search, so then I have to go through the admin area, get their id, then go to the member list to see their profile to get that information.

It'd be nice to have the search be able to return results of banned users for admins and mods and/or add a link to the user's profile in the admin area list of users.

If you're not running 1.1.2, I believe the blank username is fixed.

I take the point on the permanent ban, but this is intentional because it's the warning expirations that trigger it's removal.

Otherwise, I'd say these are generally suggestions so moving there.

This was under 1.1.2.

While I do understand the technical reason it would show as "permanent", it might be worthwhile to calculate the time a warning ban will be lifted. I can see this causing all sorts of confusion with moderators and leading to them unbanning people early since they think they inadvertently banned someone permanently somehow.

While I do understand the technical reason it would show as "permanent", it might be worthwhile to calculate the time a warning ban will be lifted. I can see this causing all sorts of confusion with moderators and leading to them unbanning people early since they think they inadvertently banned someone permanently somehow.
Totally agree, this is likely to cause confusion amongst the mods, especailly if they then can't find the user's profile to check!

Top Bottom