Is there any way to have a friends list in Xenforo?

chris4845

I was looking at IPB and your able to have a friends list, can you do that with Xenforo? I know you can follow people but that not really the same.

I don't think it is the same thing though. I can Follow people for many reasons. A lot of Follows are because that person is involved with interesting resources; on my own board I Follow new members to keep an eye on them for a few weeks.

A Friend is like an address book; someone I fairly often Conversation with or frequently want to know what they are doing.
Some systems have mutual Following as Friends. I would prefer it to be entirely my selection.
Could be a neat addon.

Actually on my XF forum too, members were asking if there was any way they could have a friends list. I pointed them to use the "Follow" feature but most people don't seem to get it. They prefer facebook style friends list.

Agreed. It's just one of those things member want along with just a general wide variety of profile features I feel needs worked on. Friends list, profile customization (ability to move block to your preferred area), choose what you want displayed in YOUR profile, background, etc. Things like this my members have always wanted for xF.

In time. I think the biggest challenge I can see from a development standpoint is the size of the database when a site has a few million members, each having a friend or two.

Not agree Josh. It's far more likely to be an addon.
Secondly with tagging it could be easy even for huge sites - of which there are not that many.

Not agree Josh. It's far more likely to be an addon.
Secondly with tagging it could be easy even for huge sites - of which there are not that many.

I thought about having "friends" being an addon module, but I have my doubts only because it seems like the next appropriate step for XenForo. Forums are not just about communities, it is also about relationships.

I'm not sure what you meant by tagging it, but I'm thinking from a database standpoint.

OK Josh I'm no database operator. I was thinking that if Friends are made a subset of Follows, which is logical, then the only addition is some sort of tag code to certain selected Follows.

(edit) like I have a list of Follows and they code 0 or 1
If I select them as Friends they code 1.

OK Josh I'm no database operator. I was thinking that if Friends are made a subset of Follows, which is logical, then the only addition is some sort of tag code to certain selected Follows.

(edit) like I have a list of Follows and they code 0 or 1
If I select them as Friends they code 1.

I'm thinking for some of our larger big board operators it may pose a challenge, but I'm no coder so I'm not sure if there's a way around it. I think I will poke around the inside of the code to see how it's done presently as it may very well be the answer.

8thLegion what's the problem with activating a Friends list via Follows?
I'd assume that if you list a Friend you wish to have a link to them you can easily access - making someone a Follow does this as they show up on the forum front page and your profile.
If you don'rt want to check their doings you don't have to.
It just seened a simple way of coding it to build on what's there.

Top Bottom