Is there a way to restore alerts to a watched thread besides revisiting the thread ?

Yes, bold means unread, this is a standard practice. You are also on a page called "Unread Watched Threads". You'll need to visit each thread to view its preferences.

I do not receive any alerts on threads which I have started.
So there needs to get something added into the current system, cause as it works now is counterproductive for generating content.

what do you mean with "appropriate settings" ?

I am watching this thread since I have started it long time ago. Which settings do I need to set up in order to receive an alert for a thread which I have started ?
Other than "not visiting" a thread which automatically stops receiving alerts ?

Not receiving alerts when not visiting a thread is counterproductive. It is a strange concept.
If I do not want to receive any further alerts on a certain thread anymore, then I could simply "unwatch a thread".

Erich, you know how the system works - it hasn't changed in three years.
You get an alert, if you don't read the thread you won't get any more alerts.

Had you received an alert for the post before it? By BamBam?

If you haven't read it, you only get one alert per thread. This hasn't changed.

Erich, you know how the system works - it hasn't changed in three years.
You get an alert, if you don't read the thread you won't get any more alerts.

yeah, I guess this is the topic of this thread ?

Maybe I misunderstood..... ?

This thread is asking if you need to read a thread to receive a second alert for new posts or if there is another way. And that has been answered several times, since you only receive 1 alert per unread thread, meaning you will need to read the thread.

Unless you had read the thread you linked after BamBam posted, you will not receive an alert for the last post in the thread. This behavior hasn't changed in 3 years.

This behavior hasn't changed in 3 years.

yeah, I know.

It is just a fundamental question if there is any way to change this behaviour or whether there could be any "option" in ACP so a webmaster could change this default behaviour in any way.

What is the point for the need of visiting a thread in order to continue receiving alerts ?

- since I do not receive any alert although I am watching a thread.
- since I can manually "unwatch a thread" when I decide I do not want to receive any alerts anymore on a certain thread.

That's all.

:)

Everyone who uses Xenforo goes through a learning stage where they find out they are no longer getting alerts about things they thought they were.

Addon makers get confused ..... "I didn't know someone needed support ... I didn't get an alert !".
etc. etc.

Ideally, there would be a way of educating people about the idea "You won't get alerts anyomore".

Maybe you could get an alert for the first watched thread that you don't visit when there was a new post ..... Telling people the alerts drop off.

Knowledge is power.

If a thread is unread (and you're watching it), you've already received an alert/email about it (assuming you have it configured like that). As such, you won't get another until you read it. Otherwise, you'll get an alert.

If a thread is unread (and you're watching it), you've already received an alert/email about it (assuming you have it configured like that). As such, you won't get another until you read it. Otherwise, you'll get an alert.
I know.
Lots of others don't.
I do.

I actually *LIKE* the system. I think it works very well. I was originally critical of "the alerts dropping off system" ... but I find it works great. Kudos to the design idea.

My Goal: I want to restore alerts to around 15 threads. I am on this page: http://xenforo.com/community/watched/threads/all ... the question is ... how to I restore alerts to the 15 threads ?

clicking.on.box.reinstates.alerts.webp

(1) What about a "Receiving Alerts" toggle ? (I can reinstate alerts by clicking it)
(2) What about dropping off the glasses if you are not receiving alerts anymore ?

The glasses have nothing to do with not receiving alerts. They indicate that you watch a thread. And for all those threads, you are technically 'receiving alerts'.

Top Bottom