XF 2.1 Is there a way to hide visitor (welcome?) menu drop down options to be visible to certain permission groups only?

Chernabog

I may not be calling it right, but where our avatar and username appear on the site next to mail and alerts.. that drop down has an option that I would like to turn not visible expect for a certain permission group. Is there any way that can be done in XF? Unfortunately I cannot hide the option by user permissions alone.

Thanks!

So you don't want them to access their account settings, preferences, or bookmarks?
No all that is fine, but other add-ons, etc. put menu options there too.. and there's one in there that is not defined by permission groups that I want to hide (code wise, I assume) to anyone not in one or perm. groups I want to see it. If that makes sense?

So let's say I wanted to hide...

example.webp

"Personal Notepad" from the menu itself in the coding .. that's the core of the question. Can these additional options that appear in this drop down be hard coded to control who can see them?

Hope that helps better!

Go to the group and click No (@ozzy47 correct me if I am wrong)

View attachment 229304

No, no.. lol. I know that. My question is .. are you able to hard code an individual item, from that menu, to only display to a user group you select. I was using Notepad as an 'example' for my question. Not all add-ons that put content in that menu have a user group permission to hide it... sub accounts is one such add-on that you cannot hide by user group permissions and will show in that menu. Not good if you do not want group "a" being able to create or know about sub accounts.

So the bigger question, outside of any add-on, is the ability (or lack of ability) to control that menu directly from the code.

So the bigger question, outside of any add-on, is the ability (or lack of ability) to control that menu directly from the code.
Depends in how the Add-on does add its link. If it is done via a template modification you could add a template modification with a higher execution oder to further modify the modification (add a condition, etc.).

Keep in mind though that removing a link from GUI won't stop users from accessing it.

Depends in how the Add-on does add its link. If it is done via a template modification you could add a template modification with a higher execution oder to further modify the modification (add a condition, etc.).

Keep in mind though that removing a link from GUI won't stop users from accessing it.
Ah okay I was thinking template mods... I'll have to review it. Well that was part 1 of my question, because I also don't like scrolling navigation bars and until XF updates it's navigation... I was also considering if I could push certain things OR add links to URLs into that menu which would free up main nav...so it seems that would be possible too 🤞 good stuff!

Top Bottom