Is there a parsed post table, or a cache?

Rigel Kentaurus

I noticed that there is no parsed post table. Does this mean that the bbcode is parsed in each and every time that the post is rendered?

As long as the code is efficient that parses the bbcode I actually see this as an advantage. If you have to modify the results of a bbcode you don't have to have it reparse the entire database everytime you make a change.

As long as the code is efficient that parses the bbcode I actually see this as an advantage. If you have to modify the results of a bbcode you don't have to have it reparse the entire database everytime you make a change.

While such a cache does need to be updated following changes to BB codes, that process doesn't normally involve the 'entire database.' For example, vB's post caching system only caches recent posts.

This is excellent news as it means making changes to BB Code won't require re-parsing the posts table.

One thing I am dreading is converting from phpBB to XenForo due to the way BB Code/Smilies are parsed and stored in the post table.

Top Bottom