Is there a guide to installing on a VPS

mrmb

hello,

Im new to VPS but wanting to learn and from a web dev background. Ive got a droplet on digital ocean and used server pilot to play around with WordPress ok.

Is there a good guide to getting XF installed? Or is it as simple as letting SP create an ap, then creating a mySQL db, uploading the files, running XF installation web pages inputing the my sql credentials and then setting up google as the mail server?

i created the droplet with Ubuntu 16.04.2 x64 and no idea if this is correct for XF but it is the default one. Is there a demo XF much like vbulletin used to have 10 years ago?

thanks

You need your webserver, and your database server, etc. If you have wordpress running, there is a very good chance xenForo will install fine.

I cannot really recommend a vps for a first time environment, there are a fair number of things that need to be done for both performance and security.

If its just for development/etc you will be (mostly) fine.

You need your webserver, and your database server, etc. If you have wordpress running, there is a very good chance xenForo will install fine.

I cannot really recommend a vps for a first time environment, there are a fair number of things that need to be done for both performance and security.

If its just for development/etc you will be (mostly) fine.
Thanks so much for your useful reply. As it's a new forum and no idea if it will really take off I'm seeing it more for development ish type of stuff. The server pilot stuff was easy to install WordPress but xf isn't going to be as easy.

Can you recommend anywhere to learn to setup these vps? I'm a software engineer and have done various deployments so not a total noob when it comes to the command line stuff.

I'll be playing around for a few more days and learning before I buy xf, just to maximise my licence time and hopefully get v2 within the 12 months.

Installation using DO and Serverpilot is very easy. Unless you used their installer for WordPress, installation of XF is essentially the same.

We are using DO and SP for a XF installation at work. Basically you:
  • Create a new app
  • Upload XF files to app
  • Create database
  • And run the installation

Top Bottom