1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is there a good spam filter available, or does all moderation and filtering have to be human?

Discussion in 'XenForo Pre-Sales Questions' started by Doctor, Sep 19, 2016.

1. Doctor

Doctor New Member

So as I mentioned in a different thread, my initial plan is to probably not go "full forum mode," but to start with a blog that allows comments first.

I'm considering either using Xenforo for that right away (https://xenforo.com/community/threads/blog-question-revisited-xenforo-as-blog.120909/), or starting with WordPress in a subdomain or folder (blog.example.com or example.com/blog) and adding Disqus for the comments. To tell you the truth, I do want to start with WordPress and try that option just to get my feet wet because I don't feel up to starting with Xenforo only now. If I began with WordPress that way, I would still want to install Xenforo later on the main Example.com domain and just have the WordPress content remain where it is in the subdomain or folder. From what I've read, Disqus has great spam filtering that makes human filtering almost unnecessary. Does Xenforo have anything like that or a genuinely effective plugin for that, or do you have to do all moderating and spam filtering manually with Xenforo?

2. ŽivaAkcija

ŽivaAkcija Well-Known Member

i never use any add on like spam filter, xenforo have default options for that and works.

3. Doctor

Doctor New Member

Thanks for your reply.

Okay, just found this: https://xenforo.com/help/spam/

I guess you have a choice whether to allow people to even post any links or videos, or have a signature?

4. ŽivaAkcija

that will reqiure add on

5. Doctor

Doctor New Member

6. ŽivaAkcija

7. Martok

Martok Well-Known Member

This is only partially true.

Preventing users from posting links and posting images and videos hosted remotely isn't functionality built into XenForo and would indeed require an add-on.

Uploading images and videos to XenForo and XenForo Media Gallery can be prevented as these are user group permissions, so you can say prevent new members from doing this whilst allowing other members.

Signatures are also controlled by user group permissions in a similar way. You can prevent some users from having a signature and allow others to have them as well as determine whether or not you permit links, images, text formatting.

The only official add-ons are XenForo Media Gallery, Resource Manager and Enhanced Search. Anything else is a third party add-on.

8. ŽivaAkcija

9. Doctor

Doctor New Member

10. ŽivaAkcija

i am not use it so i cannot suggest anything, maybe @Martok give you some guide.

11. Doctor

Doctor New Member

Hi, thanks for your post too, Martok, only found it after the page refreshed.

I would have thought there would be default options not requiring an addon for some of that too, so good to see there is.

12. Doctor

Doctor New Member

I must admit, the options are looking more and more interesting...

13. Martok

Martok Well-Known Member

I don't use any signature add-ons as the built-in XenForo functionality is sufficient for me.

If you don't want users (either some or all) to have links in their signatures then this can be achieved with group permissions in XenForo, no add-on is needed.

14. Doctor

Doctor New Member

Do you also have the option of no signature at all, and just leaving it blank or using the feature I saw to use the blank space for advertising?

15. ŽivaAkcija

like mentioned before, you can limited usergroup who can use it.

16. Martok

Martok Well-Known Member

As I said earlier,

As for advertising, there are built-in templates to use for this already.

17. Doctor

Doctor New Member

Ah yes, sorry, I should have scrolled back up. It's past 3AM here, so I'm a bit off my game right now as they say. :)

This is looking great so far in terms of these options.

Is that your dog or a third party graphic, by the way, ŽivaAkcija?

Last edited: Sep 19, 2016
  18. ŽivaAkcija

its Mimi my dog

20160917_110223_HDR.jpg

Doctor likes this.
  19. Doctor

Doctor New Member

Nice. :) That's such a great shot.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2016
  20. ŽivaAkcija