Is there a good spam filter available, or does all moderation and filtering have to be human?

Doctor

So as I mentioned in a different thread, my initial plan is to probably not go "full forum mode," but to start with a blog that allows comments first.

I'm considering either using Xenforo for that right away (https://xenforo.com/community/threads/blog-question-revisited-xenforo-as-blog.120909/), or starting with WordPress in a subdomain or folder (blog.example.com or example.com/blog) and adding Disqus for the comments. To tell you the truth, I do want to start with WordPress and try that option just to get my feet wet because I don't feel up to starting with Xenforo only now. If I began with WordPress that way, I would still want to install Xenforo later on the main Example.com domain and just have the WordPress content remain where it is in the subdomain or folder. From what I've read, Disqus has great spam filtering that makes human filtering almost unnecessary. Does Xenforo have anything like that or a genuinely effective plugin for that, or do you have to do all moderating and spam filtering manually with Xenforo?

that will reqiure add on
This is only partially true.

Preventing users from posting links and posting images and videos hosted remotely isn't functionality built into XenForo and would indeed require an add-on.

Uploading images and videos to XenForo and XenForo Media Gallery can be prevented as these are user group permissions, so you can say prevent new members from doing this whilst allowing other members.

Signatures are also controlled by user group permissions in a similar way. You can prevent some users from having a signature and allow others to have them as well as determine whether or not you permit links, images, text formatting.

Is there an official addon for that over at https://xenforo.com/community/#official-xenforo-add-ons.54, or would it have to be a third party addon?
The only official add-ons are XenForo Media Gallery, Resource Manager and Enhanced Search. Anything else is a third party add-on.

This is only partially true.

Preventing users from posting links and posting images and videos hosted remotely isn't functionality built into XenForo and would indeed require an add-on.

Uploading images and videos to XenForo and XenForo Media Gallery can be prevented as these are user group permissions, so you can say prevent new members from doing this whilst allowing other members.

Signatures are also controlled by user group permissions in a similar way. You can prevent some users from having a signature and allow others to have them as well as determine whether or not you permit links, images, text formatting.

The only official add-ons are XenForo Media Gallery, Resource Manager and Enhanced Search. Anything else is a third party add-on.

Hi, thanks for your post too, Martok, only found it after the page refreshed.

I would have thought there would be default options not requiring an addon for some of that too, so good to see there is.

I don't use any signature add-ons as the built-in XenForo functionality is sufficient for me.

If you don't want users (either some or all) to have links in their signatures then this can be achieved with group permissions in XenForo, no add-on is needed.

I don't use any signature add-ons as the built-in XenForo functionality is sufficient for me.

If you don't want users (either some or all) to have links in their signatures then this can be achieved with group permissions in XenForo, no add-on is needed.

Do you also have the option of no signature at all, and just leaving it blank or using the feature I saw to use the blank space for advertising?

Top Bottom