XF 2.2 Is there a dark mode button feature for Xenforo?

DigNap15

Is there a dark mode button feature for Xenforo?

I have seen other forums with a button in the top right hand corner to enable dark mode for nightime viewing.

Does Xenforo have this as part of the basic style/theme?

Last edited:
I have seen other forums with a button in the top right hand corner to enable dark mode for nightime viewing.
Generally those are specific to a style... bothof mine with PixelExit that I use have the ability to switch between two defined styles (usually a light & dark version of the same style). It is not built into XF, as is evident by the "night vision" style I created based off the default style.

Instead of creating a new thread I'll just ask here. This video was 6 months ago, where dark mode was talked about:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Until 2.3 is released, can we just use an addon so that users can see a dark mode button somewhere? Or perhaps it's included in some themes? I'm something of a newb. Thank you

Instead of creating a new thread I'll just ask here. This video was 6 months ago, where dark mode was talked about:

Until 2.3 is released, can we just use an addon so that users can see a dark mode button somewhere? Or perhaps it's included in some themes? I'm something of a newb. Thank you
Have you got a Dark theme set-up and ready to go?

(*Sorry, I cannot see whatever is under the 'Accept Third Parties Cookies' notice)

Have you got a Dark theme set-up and ready to go?

(*Sorry, I cannot see whatever is under the 'Accept Third Parties Cookies' notice)

Not yet, I'm trying to come up with some kind of toggle switch for users. Some people like the lighter themes, and I don't want to force a dark theme on those people. I'd like to start with a light theme, then when the people who like dark mode go hunting for it, they can easily find it.

Not yet, I'm trying to come up with some kind of toggle switch for users. Some people like the lighter themes, and I don't want to force a dark theme on those people. I'd like to start with a light theme, then when the people who like dark mode go hunting for it, they can easily find it.
🙂👍No worries mate.

Would you like to have a go at creating a simple widget button?

You could try a third party provider that does this. @Pixel Exit does this. Bloke you might want to speak to is @Russ.

I actually assumed XF already had a Dark/Light mode toggle thing in the footer(?)

But if you are feeling a little adventurous.

Disclaimer: I am a newb too. I'm not sure if this will do exactly what you want, I'm hoping it will.
The button works but I am unsure if the Dark Mode link would work with this button.

•#1) Create an HTML Widget
👇Go into:

>ACP

👇then:

>left menu

👇then:

>Appearance

👇then:

>Widgets

👇then:

>Add Widget

👇then:

>HTML
👇Add :

Widget Key

👇for example:

bennys_dark_mode_button

👇then shoot down to the bottom, add:

<a href="https://xenforo.com/community/misc/style-variation" class="cxf button button-cta button"><span class="button-text"><i class="fa fa-moon-o"></i> Dark</span></a>

👇then scroll up, add it to whichever ever widget position you like, for example:

Public Sidebar Bottom

👇Almost done....
👇 Once you've set up your Dark Mode replace the URL with your Dark Mode link:

<a href="http:/xenforo.com/community/misc/style-variatio" class="cxf button button-cta button"><span class="button-text"><i class="fa fa-moon-o"></i> Dark</span></a>
-optional: replace 👉'moon-o' fa icon code with any fa icon you prefer.

-optional: replace the word 👉 'Dark' with any word or phrase you prefer.

👉Hit 'Save' and then go test it out.

Hey Bennylava, I'm thinking that if you first create your :

👉Dark Style,

And making sure to enable user selection for it.

😄 Chances are the standard XF Dark/Light toggle might appear in your footer....(possibly(¿?))

Top Bottom