Is there any benefit to offering members a Dark mode style/theme?

cwe

I think most mobile device browsers (or operating systems) give them options for viewing web pages in a dark mode. Is there any advantage in offering a dark mode style/theme natively to a forum?

I think most mobile device browsers (or operating systems) give them options for viewing web pages in a dark mode. Is there any advantage in offering a dark mode style/theme natively to a forum?
For my site... most definitely. If you are out at a dark location doing captures and wanting to browse the forum, you definitely don't want bright colors killing your night vision. In fact, the dark style is the default, and there is a light option for use where you don't want your night vision impacted so badly.

1665053576706.webp

How is this even a question? Of course there's value in a dark theme. A lot of us use dark themes for everything, all the time, and despise light themes. Every site should absolutely offer dark and light modes. It's not just preferences but also helps accessibility.
And there's certainly no harm in it either. Which is the real answer to the question.

No harm, but a cost (for something professionally done and not ham fisted which would be a generous description of my best effort).

I made a dark style for my site by creating a child style of my light style and then only change style properties - color palette to dark.
I also had to change two other colors, but that depends on your style, my users was and are very happy.

I default to dark themes, and then offer a light theme.

If I ever finish the new design I am working on, it will also include a neutral theme for those that hate everything and are just plain difficult.

In my experience, the number actually using the dark styles is much less than 25% - probably more like 5% - but those using it were very happy when I gave them the option. One is a hunting and fishing forum where the dark style gets used both at night and in bright sunlight.

No harm in offering the option for those who prefer it. :)

Top Bottom