Is there a CMS planned?

Many people won't use third party addons because they have been burned in the past by people not supporting them.
It's the same old catch 22.
Myself included... I won't use third party addons either. Thats why I write these addons myself. If I see someone on these forums doing something cool, I'll say "I like that... I'll start programming it tomorrow". There are a lot of mods on my XenForo which haven't been released to the public, because they are similar to someone else's mod and it would be disrespectful for me to release my own version of their mods.

Many people won't use third party addons because they have been burned in the past by people not supporting them.
It's the same old catch 22.

I take it they are free mods. I don''t think users have reasons to complain about something that they get for free. If it is anyone who has been burnt so to speak, then it is the mod authors who release their work for free and get little to no appriciation at all about their hard work but complains only.

I take it they are free mods. I don''t think users have reasons to complain about something that they get for free. If it is anyone who has been burnt so to speak, then it is the mod authors who release their work for free and get little to no appriciation at all about their hard work but complains only.

That's a part of the catch 22.
People think they want it for free .... but when it's not supported as they want ... they'll spend 20 hours *****ing about it (20 hours x minimum wage = ????). And when it's not working ... they look at the cost of hiring a programmer to fix it and they are surprised it costs $1000.
It wasn't as successful as it could have been.
Essentially most people wanted better Addons and support.
The developers weren't happy as they weren't respected for their work financially or for the contribution itself.
This is how vBorg worked.
That seems to be the model we have going here.

That's why I've tried to think up new ways ..

I don't believe this is the correct thread for this discussion.

Please take it to one of the other threads related to the add-on system/developer realtionship which have been created.

Does XenForo really NEED a CMS? There are tons of solutions already.

My XenPorta + XenCarta solutions are pretty much everything most forums will ever need.

Xenporta has a indipendent article system? Is a simple splash portal, not a cms...if i want to have articles (not threads) in home Xenporta doesn't suite my needs.

My XenPorta + XenCarta solutions are pretty much everything most forums will ever need.
They don't, but if you want to believe they do I guess thats fine.

A CMS is much more than just a portal, and a lite wiki system. while some sites (not most, and only those that need nothing more than a portal) can use those and be perfectly fine, there are many more sites that need a full CMS. If all your mods were together as one, you'd have the start of a CMS but it would still lack much of the customization a true CMS would grant.

When Xenforo release a CMS and blog, and a way of transferring all my articles/static content/attachments/forum posts (without fuggliness) I will think about transferring my site to XF. If their CMS is anything like their forum software it would be very sweet!

http://www.pleasedsheep.com/

Now that a XenForo resource manager will be released (and a very good looking one!), I wonder (and hope) if XenForo will be able to release a functional CMS before vbulletin. I know the forum software has the focus, but it would be amazing if XenForo would pull that off.

True. There are many great CMS out there. Lately I've been trying out Contao (former TypoLight) and its really nice. But I have to use separate accounts for Contao & Xenforo >.>

I'd love a tutorial how to pull Xenforo accounts & permissions & cookies to be used with other CMS.

Why can't someone just create a Wordpress TO Xenforo bridge plugin that uses Wordpress to manage the user accounts, then automatically logs people INTO Xenforo?

I know there is a "wordpress plugin" here on the site already but it goes from Xenforo TO Wordpress (the other way around, which makes no sense). That's fine if you got Xenforo as the home page and Wordpress sitting in a directory. But what about if you want Wordpress as the HOME page and Xenforo in a directory? That seems a better way to use a CMS system and as many websites already use Wordpress as their homepage, it would be a great plugin to offer.

Has anyone found a solution like this? How difficult would this be to development? Costs/time involved?

I have checked with everyone I have seen mentioned. I just want a limited number of features but none have all of them that I am looking for, I think it is five things on my list for it to be able to do.

Two people have told me they would eventually have all the features I want but at this time none of them meet my needs.

With XF addons that means depending with your sites future upon addon coders who may or may not support their addons in the future. Some addon coders have proven to be quite reliable, while others have disappeared into thin air.

With Joomla or Wordpress, there are problems with integration:
  1. how to get all content from both systems in one new content overview?
  2. how to get usergroups and usergroup permissions working in the CMS?
  3. how to get it in one integrated design?
  4. how to let the CMS refer to the XF profile?
  5. how to use one editor?
  6. how to let the CMS show the XF avatar?
Integration is not just integration of login, but integration of the whole user experience.

With XF addons that means depending with your sites future upon addon coders who may or may not support their addons in the future. Some addon coders have proven to be quite reliable, while others have disappeared into thin air.
The solution is to get enough users and to pay per month. If the addon stops working (terms defined beforehand) ... the support payments stop. This is true for "complicated" integrations such as Joomla or Wordpress. Simple login integration wouldn't need this model to be sustainable. I think many developers would work under this model and many people would be happy to pay. Sadly, this is a problem of lack of organization and vision.

With Joomla or Wordpress, there are problems with integration:
  1. how to get all content from both systems in one new content overview?
  2. how to get usergroups and usergroup permissions working in the CMS?
  3. how to get it in one integrated design / appearance ?
  4. how to let the CMS refer to the XF profile?
  5. how to use one editor?
  6. how to let the CMS show the XF avatar?

Great list.

Top Bottom