Is there a CMS planned?

Hmmm......Looks like I'll have to wait another month before launching my forums across many of my sites.

Theyve said repeatedly the first arrival is going to be the forums only.
But as that looks like it'll be September or early October I expect the CMS will be here within a month or two after that.
I think K & M may have mentioned more like a year or two. I'd certainly prefer your time line! I also understand they want to make sure the forum is done right (excellent so far!), and that said I DO hope that they and/or the rapidly burgeoning XF 3rd party coders community integrates a comparable quality seamless Blog and a CMS module as soon as is prudently possible.

I think K & M may have mentioned more like a year or two.
Maybe a year ago - the entire forum looks like its funtioning - as in, stable enough to be released and sold.....but hey, quality over quantity.

If a year is what they're aiming for....then I'm going to have to buy vb in the meantime which I really don't want to....considering xenforo is coming. *defeated posture*

Jack I'm sure they understand that a year is too long from a marketing point of view. They'll lose a lot of the keen interest coming in currently if it is that long a wait. Most admins won'#t want a forum only product - some will buy to play with but a lot can't afford that luxury.

I expect if the in-house CMS does take a while there'll be a good mod. The modders are obviously7 raring to go on XF. Which will be good because you can get in during the design phase with your prefs.

Though I can fully understand what you are saying and where you are coming from... I would still love to see XenForo be the best forum, before they become the best kitchen sink... There will be mods available I am sure within days - weeks of XenForo's release that will bridge other CMS's or will create a portal style system...

When development time comes up that isn't going to slow the core product then would be a good time to start working on a CMS and to take time on one and make it good.
I've got a hunch that there must be SOME people in this rather electrified community who are already on it... I'm gonna just keep showing up here for the news and to decompress* from vB-land (bummer to see ol' vB seem to veer off course, but that's life in IT, and most everywhere else).
I really love the Flash(?) integration that is showing up here, and the overall higher intuitively accessible and useful functionality.

Jack I'm sure they understand that a year is too long from a marketing point of view. They'll lose a lot of the keen interest coming in currently if it is that long a wait. Most admins won'#t want a forum only product - some will buy to play with but a lot can't afford that luxury.

I expect if the in-house CMS does take a while there'll be a good mod. The modders are obviously7 raring to go on XF. Which will be good because you can get in during the design phase with your prefs.
I was typing my bit about it as you were, it appears. Cheers!

More like JS and Ajax. Whilst it uses some HTML5 tags, they are pretty much useless at this point as the majority of browsers do not fully support HTML5 or CSS3.
The support is just around the corner. I heard somewhere that August (right now) is when they "validate" and finalize HTML5 to worldwide.

In fact, there are hundreds of books on pre-order already on some sites like amazon.

Next year, Apps will start to explode like no tommorrow, and Zynga/Playdom will have more competitors, and many sites will have their own apps - no longer will facebook be the place to do the code.

Could someone kind unpack and explain those last posts? I'm interested but not educated enough.
I do know html and I code in it and I struggle with c ss. Don't like it as I only do small sites. js is my fwiend and Flash I know designers like but to be hoinest I find it a bit slow to open things.
Ajax?
How are sites going to have their own apps?

Okay, there's FTC, there's FCC, and BBB in the business world.

The organization responsible for VALIDATING code to be ACCEPTED on browsers.....is w3C (if I remember correctly). They say, which code goes on, and which code does NOT. If they find a security hole in a particular code, they omit it. And so on and on.

HTML5 is the next generation of code that W3C just compiled. Some browsers already support some HTML5 code, but W3C hasn't validated it yet as a full working code.
How are sites going to have their own apps?
If W3C releases the code as "valid" and many website owners take wind of it... It will inspire them to create their own website with apps in it, and not comform to Facebook, or similar [like myspace] standards. This in turn means more apps on the wider scale.

I mean, the code is already on their site, just not validated and supported yet.
Why the Community Wants HTML 5
Engineers, designers, marketing departments, and users have learned much about the Web as a medium since HTML 4 was first published in December 1997. Web sites reflect this progress: no longer static page collections, they are now media-rich communities that leverage participation and evolve dynamically to better meet customer needs. Ajax and related innovations have propelled demands for a new standard that allows people to create Web applications that interoperate across desktop and mobile platforms.
Pay attention to the last sentence.

Theyve said repeatedly the first arrival is going to be the forums only.
But as that looks like it'll be September or early October I expect the CMS will be here within a month or two after that.

Highly doubt we are talking about a month or two, more likely a year or two IMO.

---MAD--- you're always SUCH an optimist.
He's a realist; you can't expect a CMS solution to be done in 3 months, when they're most likely going to continue to extend the forum solution for as long as it takes for many people to find it an adoptable solution.

...., when they're most likely going to continue to extend the forum solution for as long as it takes for many people to find it an adoptable solution.

When it comes to the frontend... I believe there is actually not that much more to extend on (when it comes to the basic functionality). Ofcourse there are always wishes, but even in it's current alpha state, XenForo is -as a forum only product- highly usable. I think it would be very wise for XenForo ltd. to (after the forum has been released as Gold) investigate producing Blog, CMS and Gallery solutions. Obviously a lot, a lot of disgruntled vBulletin customers would be very interested to say the least.

When it comes to the frontend... I believe there is actually not that much more to extend on (when it comes to the basic functionality). Ofcourse there are always wishes, but even in it's current alpha state, XenForo is -as a forum only product- highly usable. I think it would be very wise for XenForo ltd. to (after the forum has been released as Gold) investigate producing Blog, CMS and Gallery solutions. Obviously a lot, a lot of disgruntled vBulletin customers would be very interested to say the least.
While the gold release will be stable, and have much of what administrators need, they're still going to be lacking some of the stuff they've put on the backburner, to get out the first release as quick, functional and stably as possible.

I also wouldn't want them to rush and ignore things the forum will likely still need added, or sacrifice functionality on the premium add-ons; I had enough of that with vBulletin.

I'd love to see them underway on blogs, CMS, and a gallery by the end of the year, however to get things right, it'll possibly take longer, which is why I said 1-2 months wasn't realistic. 

Top Bottom