Is the license PER DOMAIN or PER URL

Business Coach

I have seen both words used here on the forum (granted not by mods/staff)

Is the license per domain or per url

so if i have the domain city.com

can i put one license to have forums for

newyork.city.com
kansas.city.com
saltllake.city.com

?

or is that requiring 3 licenses?

domain or URL?

It is one license per installation.

You would require 3 licenses for that.

This is from the XenForo License Agreement:
Subject to the terms and conditions of this Agreement and the payment by You of the applicable fee for the Software, XenForo Limited grants You a limited, non-exclusive, worldwide license to install, download and use a single instance of the Software ("License") through a single installation. Each License may run one instance of the Software, accessible via one URL.

Does that mean that the following wouldn't be allowed?

I have 1 install of XF (1 database) but set it up with 3 nodes as categories. I then set my DNS so that whilst myforum.com points to the entire install, I set subdomains to point just to specific nodes/categories.

e.g.

discussions.myforum.com
add-ons.myforum.com
support.myforum.com

Does that mean that the following wouldn't be allowed?

I have 1 install of XF (1 database) but set it up with 3 nodes as categories. I then set my DNS so that whilst myforum.com points to the entire install, I set subdomains to point just to specific nodes/categories.

e.g.

discussions.myforum.com
add-ons.myforum.com
support.myforum.com

That's one single install, so one license should do the trick (feel free to correct me if I am wrong). Good question though. I have numerous domain names linked to individual sub forums on my vB install, and it would thoroughly stink if I suddenly had to add 10 more licenses to cover that :p

So BusinessCoach could do what he wanted as long as all his cityname.city.com sites were just categories on a large forum? Even if he had sub-domains pointing to just the category level.

He could but he specifically said forums (plural), which is why I stated that 3 licenses would be required.

In addition though, all of the content on subdomain1 should be accessible from subdomain2 and so on.

Forums (plural) doesn't necessarily mean separate installs. For example on here, the category titles are Official Forums, Public Forums, etc.

What would happen if you started putting template conditionals in to only display content from a single node depending on what domain you were on? I assume that's then on shakier ground. I know issues like these came up on VB before and I think their response was along the lines of as long as the content appears the same and you weren't hiding anything based on the domain.

What would happen if you started putting template conditionals in to only display content from a single node depending on what domain you were on?
That is covered by my second sentence in the post above.

Deliberately trying to make them appear as separate installations or blocking content between subdomains wouldn't be permitted.

Top Bottom