1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is the license PER DOMAIN or PER URL

Discussion in 'XenForo Questions and Support' started by Business Coach, Feb 19, 2011.

1. Business Coach

Business Coach Active Member

I have seen both words used here on the forum (granted not by mods/staff)

Is the license per domain or per url

so if i have the domain city.com

can i put one license to have forums for

newyork.city.com
    kansas.city.com
    saltllake.city.com

?

or is that requiring 3 licenses?

domain or URL?

2. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

It is one license per installation.

You would require 3 licenses for that.

This is from the XenForo License Agreement:

3. James

James Well-Known Member

if newyork.city.com, kansas.city.com and saltlake.city.com aren't linking to the same instance of XF, you'll need multiple licenses.

4. Business Coach

Business Coach Active Member

5. RobParker

RobParker Well-Known Member

Does that mean that the following wouldn't be allowed?

I have 1 install of XF (1 database) but set it up with 3 nodes as categories. I then set my DNS so that whilst myforum.com points to the entire install, I set subdomains to point just to specific nodes/categories.

e.g.

discussions.myforum.com
    add-ons.myforum.com
    support.myforum.com

6. SchmitzIT

SchmitzIT Well-Known Member

That's one single install, so one license should do the trick (feel free to correct me if I am wrong). Good question though. I have numerous domain names linked to individual sub forums on my vB install, and it would thoroughly stink if I suddenly had to add 10 more licenses to cover that :p

7. Brogan

If the subdomains all point to the same database then that is still classed as a single installation, so it's fine.

8. RobParker

So BusinessCoach could do what he wanted as long as all his cityname.city.com sites were just categories on a large forum? Even if he had sub-domains pointing to just the category level.

9. Brogan

He could but he specifically said forums (plural), which is why I stated that 3 licenses would be required.

In addition though, all of the content on subdomain1 should be accessible from subdomain2 and so on.

10. RobParker

Forums (plural) doesn't necessarily mean separate installs. For example on here, the category titles are Official Forums, Public Forums, etc.

What would happen if you started putting template conditionals in to only display content from a single node depending on what domain you were on? I assume that's then on shakier ground. I know issues like these came up on VB before and I think their response was along the lines of as long as the content appears the same and you weren't hiding anything based on the domain.

11. Brogan

That is covered by my second sentence in the post above.

Deliberately trying to make them appear as separate installations or blocking content between subdomains wouldn't be permitted.

12. RobParker

Ah sorry I misread your should as in "that should be how it works", not "that's how it must be set up".

Cheers :)