XF 1.1 is the banned usergroup obsolete?

electrogypsy

someone was telling me in another forum that xenforo doesn't use the usergroup "banned". i just wanted to check first, since im a convert from vbulletin, and my banned usergroup was brought over from the conversion, i was wondering if it's okay to delete this usergroup. thanks!

There are only four default user groups and you can delete any of the others.

There's also nothing to stop you creating more, including a Banned usergroup.

In fact with 1.1, there is now the option to add users to a user group when banned, so we have a Banned user group for that purpose, which has a user title of "Banned" and styling applied to the user name to make it greyed out and italic.

There are only four default user groups and you can delete any of the others.

There's also nothing to stop you creating more, including a Banned usergroup.

In fact with 1.1, there is now the option to add users to a user group when banned, so we have a Banned user group for that purpose, which has a user title of "Banned" and styling applied to the user name to make it greyed out and italic.

thank you for that answer brogan, that's exactly what i needed to know :)

forgive me if I shouldn't post this here, but I'm noticing that if you use the spam cleaner and BAN someone, it doesn't put them in the banned usergroup?? If you log into the admincp even a day after the fact, it still shows the person in the registered usergroup. I just keep manually putting them in banned, but it seems like xen doesn't use the banned group? If you banned someone on VB, it put them in the banned group immediately

so what is the point? If another staff member goes into the admincp to look at a member account and sees "registered" usergroup, they have no clue that person was previously banned?

There is a button at the bottom of their profile which indicates and enables you to toggle their banned status. A banned user will show this button:

Screen shot 2011-12-07 at 5.33.34 PM.webp

Or there is a separate ban list:

Admin CP -> Users -> Banned Users

never actually seen the lift ban button there. I'm always looking at the usergroup status. Still seems odd, but thank you for that piece of info

forgive me if I shouldn't post this here, but I'm noticing that if you use the spam cleaner and BAN someone, it doesn't put them in the banned usergroup??
It does since 1.1.

Options -> User Discouragement and Discipline: Add User Group on Ban

Tested and working.

While I agree 99% with how XenForo does the banning, there's no need for a usergroup for a looooot of site owners, there is that 1% that doesn't see the "lift ban" button. And my opinion is that it's misleading that an account status is either valid or waiting email validation. In my opinion the 'state' of the user is that his account is NOT valid, because it's banned. I wouldn't mind if it reflected so properly. But that's my opinion.

The registered group is correct, the user has registered. There is no need to say this 'registered' user is_banned, via updating it yet again to another group. But the status of the account is invalid, because despite being registered, it's now banned.
Screen shot 2011-12-08 at 11.39.38 AM.webp

And, admins who want to know who's banned: admin.php?banning/users

It does since 1.1.

Options -> User Discouragement and Discipline: Add User Group on Ban

Tested and working.
thanks yet again Brogan. I wish it gave that info in the announcements, or announcement videos. I read and watched them all.
http://xenforo.com/community/threads/xenforo-1-1-0-released.23605/

Maybe suggest that alterations or additions between versions mentioned in that thread. Now I'm wondering how many other settings or functions I'm missing?

Ya know, I agree with this thread.

Every time I ban a user, I use the ban button as Mr. Bunce mentioned before. But I also noticed that every time that I do it, it doesn't really automatically put the user into the banned usergroup; so the administrator would have to go back to the user profile and move the primary usergroup to banned usergroup. That has been my experience.

I meant, before 1.1 came out. I'm trying to work with 1.1, learning curve. :oops:

May I ask what are the steps to do so that the ban does put the user into usergroup? There's quite a lot of options, soo.... heh.

Before 1.1.0 there was no automatic add to a banned user group.

Create a banned user group
Select it under Options -> User Discouragement and Discipline: Add User Group on Ban

That's it.

Before 1.1.0 there was no automatic add to a banned user group.
I know, I know. :D I'm just saying that in the previous message, that's what I was saying. And I still have the habit of doing so with 1.1 because I haven't learned how to do it exactly.

I upgraded all my sites to 1.1 the day it came out. :p

Top Bottom