Is It Worth Going to 2.0

daudet

I am currently on Version 1.4. Is it worth going to 2.0? Are the features better? More importantly is this release stable or loaded with bugs due to it being in its infancy?

The 2.x version is stable. In my view, the question to upgrade remains focused on addons. If an addon isn’t updated for 2.x then wait or do without. Otherwise, 2.x is definitely worth the upgrade.

One of my current concerns is that staying on 1.4 makes it a target for hackers. As detailed in another thread I was hacked recently. I am not sure it was Xenforo though, as I have Joomla installations on the same server. I believe Joomla to be highly hackable. I am in the process of moving everything over to Wordpress. Wordpress has updates regularly and should help prevent some of the site based problems.

I also really don't like the idea of sitting on a very old version, as it will eventually be un-upgrade-able.

Do you know if I can upgrade from 1.4 directly to 2.0?

LPH what would you say some of the features are that make the upgrade worth it?

I had a look at that, but don't know the reality.
I just noticed that you are part of sales. ;-)
I had some questions of the sales team recently and they weren't as friendly as you.

If I bought a license years ago, I am guessing the extension option is no longer available. If I pay again, does that give me 2 licenses or just a renewal? After I buy the license, do I have to pay the extension every year?

Last edited:
If you have a license you can get the extension. Then you can decide if you want to upgrade to 1.5.x or to 2.x

I just noticed that you are part of sales. ;-)
I had some questions of the sales team recently and they weren't as friendly as you.

If you are referring to me, please understand that I am a customer and not part of XenForo sales or development.

As @ge66 stated, extend your license and you'll have access to the latest XenForo.

Sorry.....its for XenWord....
"
XenWord: A simple bridge between XenForo and WordPress
Sales & Support "

So ge66...are you saying even though I got my license 5 years ago, I only need to purchase an extension?

"
Sales & Support "

So ge66...are you saying even though I got my license 5 years ago, I only need to purchase an extension?

If you pay again you get a second license with a year of updates included. If you renew the current license for $40 you get a year of updates for that license only and don't need to pay anymore except once a year.

I would just renew the current one.

Yes, that sounds perfect. $40... I didn't know that was an option!

Yeah each new license comes with 1 year of updates and support at the cost of $140 but a current license can be renewed yearly at $40/year for all updates including Xenforo 2. Good luck!

"
Sales & Support "

Audent.io is developing a XenForo and Wordpress integration plugin for one of our clients. I believe they're releasing it to the public later this week.

Made the switch today. Still getting acquainted but it's worth it. Unless you just have to have every last add on I would advise people to take the plunge.

Reactions: CJ6
anyone who want update from 1x to 2x need to know that cost lots of money if you need same add on for 2x
Not necessarily. Some add-ons, such as the official ones (XFMG, XFRM) cost nothing extra. Other 3rd party ones (e.g. XR Product Manager) don't cost anything additional if you have an up-to-date renewal. So a blanket statement of "cost lots of money" is inaccurate, it will vary from customer to customer. Besides, who know what 2.1 may bring, it could mean that some add-ons become redundant.

Top Bottom