1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

is it possible to translate [quote]

Discussion in 'XenForo Pre-Sales Questions' started by erich37, Sep 30, 2010.

1. erich37

erich37 Well-Known Member

I am just wondering if it is possible to translate the wording for "quote" in the brackets ?

I guess people name this BB-Code or something (in the Forum-world).......

saying, is it possible to translate:
    [ quote ]

2. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

No. No BB codes can be translated (just the text that they render as in the post).

3. erich37

hmmmm.... wondering if any other web-applications are using "BB-Codes", besides Forum-software ?
    Seems to be a relict of the early days of the internet.

Well, did not see FaceBook or Twitter or Blogs or any other software using BB-Codes.....?

TrevC likes this.
  4. Jethro

Jethro Well-Known Member

Doesn't BB stand for Bulletin Board, ergo would be used by bulletin board software?

I think there's going to be an option to enter your own bbcodes, ergo enter what you prefer to the [ quote ] tags.

5. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

BB Code is a way of allowing HTML content to be displayed in posts without using HTML.

That's all.

6. erich37

just wondering why those BB-Codes did not evolve into some sort of modern and easier (point and click) solution over the years.
    Well, I have never used any Forums before, so I am not used to BB-Codes and I think this could be made into something easier to use.

Literally into something without any visible code to the user, just like a button-click.

7. Forsaken

Forsaken Well-Known Member

Usually it is, however they haven't added it to the editor yet.

8. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Like a WYSIWYG editor for example? ;)

9. feldon30

feldon30 Well-Known Member

Clearly.

bbCodes are widely used across the internet for all situations where HTML styling is needed but you do not want to allow the user to post HTML.

It did. WYSIWYG.

You just said you have "never used any Forums before". At least give it a week before declaring something a "relic". The reason why it's necessary to see quote tags is in case you decide to split up a quote and respond line-by-line. I've seen forums that don't show quotes as bbCode. It's a nightmare to try to reply to that quote. Can you think of an interface that would have allowed me to split up your quote and respond line-by-line without bbCodes?

For everything else, this is done with the WYSIWYG, but for quotes, the tags are shown.

Forsaken likes this.
  10. dutchbb

dutchbb Well-Known Member

The fact that this has an international wording is a good thing, not a bad.

11. erich37

depends which language you are running your forum in....... (english, german, french, chinese, etc.)

12. erich37

Did you see any BB-Code used at Facebook or Pinterest or Twitter ? :cautious:
    No. :p

TrevC likes this.
  13. HWS

HWS Well-Known Member

You simply would need another -fully customized- editor. :)
    Cedric is the expert on that. Maybe you can hire him?

14. erich37

who is Cedric ?

15. HWS

HWS Well-Known Member

cclaerhout