XF 1.4 Is it possible to have multiple users with the same name?

Is there a way I can do it, I know that vanilla xenforo probably doesn't support it. But I was wondering because I'm working on something and I want to allow my users to be able to use their real names, however, the problem is that I obviously cannot have multiple users with the same username.

Is there an add on, or can someone link me a guide, or write one out for me?

I have tried looking, and I cannot find anything.

XenForo requires unique usernames. This is not easily changed.

What you want is a feature that is commonly called a "display name." Basically you login with your unique username but everyone sees your display name which is not unique. Unfortunately I am not aware of any such addon for XenForo. You might need to post a request:

Resource and Add-on Requests

XenForo requires unique usernames. This is not easily changed.

What you want is a feature that is commonly called a "display name." Basically you login with your unique username but everyone sees your display name which is not unique. Unfortunately I am not aware of any such addon for XenForo. You might need to post a request:

Resource and Add-on Requests
Yeah, a display name would be nice.

Thank you for the information.

Would you know how to go about implementing this? or at least who i could contact for help?

In order to have this Custom User Field show the values below the Avatar while viewing a post, check this box:

Admin CP -> Appearance -> Style Properties -> Message Elements -> Show custom user fields
That is one way, but not quite what i'm looking for.

What I'm looking for is, to show the display name like the username, and maybe just have the username act as just something that makes each account unique.

I want each user to be able to be identified as they wish, even if their name is already in use.

So if someone signs up as "Jane doe" another "Jane doe" could still sign up, except they'd have to make a different username,
kind of like how facebooks name system works.

In order to have this Custom User Field show the values below the Avatar while viewing a post, check this box:

Admin CP -> Appearance -> Style Properties -> Message Elements -> Show custom user fields
Basically like this:

45348cd50c8fb8a9b6759777cc9e5f39.png

well exactly like this...

That's the effect i'm looking for. If it's possible, at all.

@Jake Bunce, @AndyB, I'm not looking for this on KH-Flare, just trying to help. Couldn't you just set up a custom user field and hide all instances of the unique username, replacing it with the data from the custom user field? The only place you'd use your unique username would be when logging in.

It'd take quite a lot of template editing, but...

@Jake Bunce, @AndyB, I'm not looking for this on KH-Flare, just trying to help. Couldn't you just set up a custom user field and hide all instances of the unique username, replacing it with the data from the custom user field? The only place you'd use your unique username would be when logging in.

It'd take quite a lot of template editing, but...

Yes you could. And yes it would require lots of template mods.

Ah, all right. I was just curious and I wanted to say that, but didn't want to give out incorrect info after I saw you basically said it'd require an add-on.

Top Bottom