XF 1.5 Is it okay to upgrade like this?

MarkMark

I created a copy of my forum, including new MySQL database - a perfect copy.

I then ran a test upgrade to the latest version of Xenforo which worked nicely.

I was about to do the same on my live installation, when I though - why not just change the folder names so that the copy (which is now up to date) becomes the live version?

This is fine, right?

The server files and database must both be upgraded (if there are database changes involved).

You can't switch the old database which hasn't been upgraded to use the new server files.

The server files and database must both be upgraded (if there are database changes involved).

You can't switch the old database which hasn't been upgraded to use the new server files.

Sorry, to clarify - I created a copy of the server files and created a new MySQL database (which I imported the old database into). I had a complete working copy of my forum, which I then upgraded. This was all stored in mydomain.com/test

Now this complete copy has been upgraded successfully, can't I just change the folder name to mydomain.com/forum (renaming or deleting my original one).

There would be a leftover MySQL database, but I could either leave it or delete it.

If you created a copy of your site and then upgraded that, then yes, you can switch your site to use that.

If any content was created on the original site in the meantime then it will be lost.

I always used to upgrade like that when on vBulletin, obviously close the forum before the database copy.

I found it to be the quickest way to revert in the event of things going wrong.

Since converting to xenforo I found the chances of things going wrong are way way less so I now just download files and database as a restore safety, but never yet needed it touch wood.

Top Bottom