XF 2.2 Is it okay to tick "YES" in all Administrator and Moderator permissions?

ritesh

I was having an issue with a node not letting me post. So I ticked "YES" in all Administrator and Moderator permissions.

I tried to read every permission carefully at first, but then I got tired when nothing worked, and I ticked them all yes.

Later I realized that the problem was with this option "Allow new messages to be posted in this forum".

I unticked that option before, which caused the whole mess.

I am the only admin and mod, and it will stay the same way, so is it fine if I leave all the permissions to YES?

I mean, I am the only admin and mod, so it should be fine to have all the power, right?

It's really not necessary and I wouldn't recommend it - especially for hard delete options.

Permissions are very different to other software.

Make sure you read up on how they work.

It's really not necessary and I wouldn't recommend it - especially for hard delete options.

Permissions are very different to other software.

Make sure you read up on how they work.

I've read both the docs you shared, but I don't see any mention of why I should not "YES" all the options for admins.

I've set the hard-delete options to NO. Am I fine to leave the other options to YES if I am the only admin? Or is there something I am missing?

In the end it's up to you! I use all of the admin permissions myself.
You get the "are you sure" prompt either way. It's not like there's one-click delete. Accidental deletion safeguard in place.
It should be fine then.

I am a WordPress user, but Xenforo is multiple times complex as compared to it. There are so many settings to play around with that it's very hard for a beginner like me to set up a forum. Especially the permission settings confuse me the most.

It should be fine then.
Yeah I mean, it's actually SIX clicks. One to choose the post then you click the nav to get the 'delete' option' from the list in the navbar that appears at the bottom of the page, then you click 'delete' then 'go' and a dialog box pops up that still gives you the choice for a hard or soft delete, you click one of those options then click the 'delete' button in the dialog box. I don't see how anyone could accidentally, hard-delete a post. Having that extra option is nothing to be at all concerned about, especially if you're the only one who has it. It's as fully mother-henned as they can make it.

Last edited:
Having that extra option is nothing to be at all concerned about, especially if you're the only one who has it.
On the contrary.

There have been numerous threads and tickets over the years where site owners have somehow managed to mistakenly hard delete content.

The only way back from that is a full restore, which typically results in lost content (which was posted after the hard delete).

Top Bottom