Is it just me, or do we all here feel as though we're actually being listened to.

TNCclubman

I feel as though we're part of the shaping of xenforo and Kier and the boys/girls are actually listening to all our tidbits as if we're in some giant round table meeting of brainstorming ideas.

I really feel like part of the family.

No other software management team has ever made me feel this way. Good job guys.

I feel as though we're part of the shaping of xenforo and Kier and the boys/girls are actually listening to all our tidbits as if we're in some giant round table meeting of brainstorming ideas.

I really feel like part of the family.

No other software management team has ever made me feel this way. Good job guys.

It's why after years of technical education & developing with team facilitation experience (let alone being with vB in it's heyday), that I trained to be a counsellor to understand communicating and connecting with people, opposed to having something akin a top down dictator approach.

It's really not rocket science, though so many are so very ignorant to a honest and direct inclusive approach (at their peril).

Matt & charles from IPB are a prime example of two owners who have maintained interaction and dialogue with their customers. I could not speak highly enough of these two and I think this is down to they don't have to answer to the executives/owners. They can be straight forward and honest not hiding behind the poor decisions that the money cats make but they would have otherwise need to (how can I put it) BS there customers by deploying tactics that give customers next to no info resulting in broken down communication, dialogue, promises etc.

Same rule with Kier and mike. They are the owners this time around. They are the developers. It's in their hands and I personally think they will maintain a healthy strong relationship with their customers. Afterall, happy devs and team can naturally bond with their customers, just like IPB (matt and charles) and it doesn't feel fake when they do. That's the way I see it. it worked for matt and charles and I'm sure it will work for Kier and mike it's in their best interests.

Ps. I talk too much.

Its not complicated ... the company that listens and delivers what the customers want wins ... IPB is number 1 for listening to customers ... XF is doing great and the sales will reflect this :)

I liked, no, I loved XF because what I saw of relationship between customers and devs/owners and how the devs/owners listen and talk to customers. This is something we don't find it at vB/IB and that what pushes me away from vB.

Our core ethos is to offer a product that does what users want, within reason! (Tea and coffee making is out of the question, currently!) It does mean that we need to have some idea of what users do actually want and then it becomes a consideration as to how and if it can be done and when! We have found that the best way to find out what users want is to ask them!

Matt & charles from IPB are a prime example of two owners who have maintained interaction and dialogue with their customers. I could not speak highly enough of these two and I think this is down to they don't have to answer to the executives/owners. They can be straight forward and honest not hiding behind the poor decisions that the money cats make but they would have otherwise need to (how can I put it) BS there customers by deploying tactics that give customers next to no info resulting in broken down communication, dialogue, promises etc.

Same rule with Kier and mike. They are the owners this time around. They are the developers. It's in their hands and I personally think they will maintain a healthy strong relationship with their customers. Afterall, happy devs and team can naturally bond with their customers, just like IPB (matt and charles) and it doesn't feel fake when they do. That's the way I see it. it worked for matt and charles and I'm sure it will work for Kier and mike it's in their best interests.

Ps. I talk too much.

One disagreement about them at IPB listening. My problem as mentioned before is them basically ignoring the issues that came up with IE 7 etc when 3.0 was released. Sorry but that should have been fixed by now but yet it has not. One reason i am here seeing how this goes. Thus a chance i may convert my one forum over to this. I have another as well but i know it will be a while before i can even think of converting that as what i'll need will have to be done via plugins/mods and thus a Arcade etc. So far i like what i see however the real test for what this is gonna be about is when it gets released and thus put on sale.

There was quite a good series in the UK called "Ban the Boss" that covers many of the topics of why you should dispense with the role of management, and how the people who actually do the work are far more qualified to make decisions and run the show, his blog is here.

I've spent the vast majority of my time in the last two roles fighting to keep management out or away from intelligent and aware developers so they can get on with the job.

Though now I've decided that dispensing with it all and doing my own thing as well as starting a MSc in Systems thinking is what the future holds.

Companies with grandieos, disconnected managment who are condesending and untrusting of the people who actually do the job and choose not to connect with their customers/community are going to reap what they sow in a large way.

Nope, I get that feeling. Large part of it is the owners/developers are listening. More importantly, they are responding, even more importantly they are providing an atmosphere and conveying they are not pompus people who think they are head and shoulders above the rest and this passes down to the community. Heck, I don't think I've used the word "community" in 6-7 years.

The close nit community (there I go again) enduces dialogue, brainstorming, productivity and this can only be good for both camps. Devs and members a family not us vs them. Anyway, If i type anymore I'll be crying myself to sleep tonight. :D

Can't be stated enough, great work not only to the devs but to the community. I'm outta here.

You have been Liked! :D

There was quite a good series in the UK called "Ban the Boss" that covers many of the topics of why you should dispense with the role of management, and how the people who actually do the work are far more qualified to make decisions and run the show, his blog is here.

I've spent the vast majority of my time in the last two roles fighting to keep management out or away from intelligent and aware developers so they can get on with the job.

Though now I've decided that dispensing with it all and doing my own thing as well as starting a MSc in Systems thinking is what the future holds.

Companies with grandieos, disconnected managment who are condesending and untrusting of the people who actually do the job and choose not to connect with their customers/community are going to reap what they sow in a large way.

Most of the management at my work started from a tech position and worked their way up, and its a much better work place then some I've had.

Does this mean what I think it means or am I reading to much into it?

Heh. :)

Totally agree with much of the above. Personally I'm a big believer in the Deming school of thought regarding process improvement. The person most likely to have a good suggestion for improvement of a process is the one that is most involved in implementing that process on a daily basis. NOT the manager that looks at bottom lines and tries to figure out ways to cut more corners to improve the bottom line for the 2 years he needs until he moves on, not coincidentally, just before the whole system falls apart.

Actually I've worked with managers that were much better than that, but I've seen more than enough of the bad sort to have an almost automatic reaction to many corporate types that are only looking at lining their golden parachute and couldn't give a cr@p less about the fallout after they leave.