Is Digital Ocean Host Good for Xenforo, Or What Host Can Is Best

I'm also with them and they have provided a great service. My only issue with them is it will cost you an additional $10 per month on top of what they advertise for a VPS because they "have to add cPanel" (even though it's listed as 'optional') however, the fact that they don't add this to the core price on their page is shady. Just be sure to inquire about the proper price before because they falsely advertise it.

I'm with them using Direct Admin and it works perfectly fine. So cPanel isn't required. Their pricing model changed when cPanel increased their prices. Without raising the cost overall, they migrated clients to Direct Admin who were okay with the change and keeping the price the same, while making cPanel an option for customers to 'upgrade' from.

Doesn't seem shady to me.

I'm with them using Direct Admin and it works perfectly fine. So cPanel isn't required. Their pricing model changed when cPanel increased their prices. Without raising the cost overall, they migrated clients to Direct Admin who were okay with the change and keeping the price the same, while making cPanel an option for customers to 'upgrade' from.

Doesn't seem shady to me.
To be fair, they've updated their page on this and are now stating optional WHM/cPanel so as of now it appears more legitimate. At the time it definitely was not, you had no idea of the extra charge until you asked.

I have namecheap 3. Email servis :)
Namecheap is garbage if you think about monetizing the site with display ads. They don't work well with a popular display ad service Ezoic, unless you purchase a virtual private server. A VPS from Namecheap costs about 60 dollars a month and CPanel is about 15 dollars a month. So that's like 75 - 80 dollars a month to have a website that can support Ezoic.

Namecheap is garbage if you think about monetizing the site with display ads. They don't work well with a popular display ad service Ezoic, unless you purchase a virtual private server. A VPS from Namecheap costs about 60 dollars a month and CPanel is about 15 dollars a month. So that's like 75 - 80 dollars a month to have a website that can support Ezoic.
I am using vps from digitalocean. I only use e-mail service from Namecheap.

Almost ALL major reasonably priced hosting providers like this have issues with it. Linode is no different. When you can simply hit the companies site, pay $10 or so and spin up a VPS that you can use for mass spamming for a few weeks before it gets terminated.... you will have these type of issues. It takes a staff that keeps a close eye on their network to minimize it.
Neither Digital Ocean and Linode have have good reputation on their IP blocks for use as a mail server because of this... and it's not something new.
Also, posting a link to an article hidden behind a paywall is "sorta" frowned upon by many.

Almost ALL major reasonably priced hosting providers like this have issues with it.
👆 This right here. Hosts can probably monitor certain types of traffic on their network to detect abuse, but with hundreds of thousands of sites/servers being run on their hardware, the providers can't monitor every single process, especially unmanaged hosting providers. And most will not do anything until they receive complaints. Nobody is "in trouble" because of this but on the other hand, it doesn't help their reputation either.

Known Host seems great:

Been with them for a couple of years now, and switched to annual billing because I'm ready to stay long term. Their support responses are lightning fast.
Known Host seems great:

Been with them for a couple of years now, and switched to annual billing because I'm ready to stay long term. Their support responses are lightning fast.
What good is “lightening fast” support if they just tell you what the problem is and not actually get in the mud and help you resolve the issues and problems. I was with them and they always sent me articles about how to fix my problem and saying they’re not allowed to touch my files. Also like someone mentioned if you do decide to go with Known Host shared hosting go with the most expensive one that enables you to run a XenForo forum, they’re first or middle plan in my experience didn’t work. I received an email saying I reached all my limits and they shut me down. It was a new forum too so didn’t understand that. Every host has their own issues just have to find one you like that will actually run a forum. I see some people recommending Host Gator. That is the biggest mistake ever, just my opinion of course cause I tried them lol 😂

What good is “lightening fast” support if they just tell you what the problem is and not actually get in the mud and help you resolve the issues and problems. I was with them and they always sent me articles about how to fix my problem and saying they’re not allowed to touch my files. Also like someone mentioned if you do decide to go with Known Host shared hosting go with the most expensive one that enables you to run a XenForo forum, they’re first or middle plan in my experience didn’t work. I received an email saying I reached all my limits and they shut me down. It was a new forum too so didn’t understand that. Every host has their own issues just have to find one you like that will actually run a forum. I see some people recommending Host Gator. That is the biggest mistake ever, just my opinion of course cause I tried them lol 😂

That’s unfortunate. I’ve had the opposite experience, they’ve either resolved the issues or we find out the problem is with the software and not them. Not with XF either, we have other software and services running as well. But they had exhausted all efforts on my incidents with satisfactory conclusions.

That’s unfortunate. I’ve had the opposite experience, they’ve either resolved the issues or we find out the problem is with the software and not them. Not with XF either, we have other software and services running as well. But they had exhausted all efforts on my incidents with satisfactory conclusions.
That was just my experience, I know others are different and great 👍

DO and KnownHost are different types of hosting, serving different needs and different markets.

Comparing DO to Vultr or Linode would be a more appropriate comparison.
How so? KnownHost seems to have the exact same $5-20/mo VPS plans as those other 3 providers https://www.knownhost.com/vps-hosting

I see that KH has a bunch of different options, and I'm still trying to figure out which one is best for me. Which one of those other options is what people are referring to when they mention KH?

I was assuming that most people would be using an SMTP, but I guess it's significantly cheaper & easier to do it through the host/PHP? But then we have to basically rule out shared hosting, and choose VPS, cloud, dedicated, semi-dedicated?

I have previously set up a hosted linux email server on AWS EC2 based on a step-by-step guide, and using SES SMTP was recommended for deliverability. I suppose deliverability is less of an issue for forum notifications?

How so? KnownHost seems to have the exact same $5-20/mo VPS plans as those other 3 providers https://www.knownhost.com/vps-hosting

DO, Vultr, Linode, etc. are cloud providers. With the cloud providers, there are many kinds of things additional things you can do with their interface to build up a complete virtual infrastructure. But with that, when it comes to the VPS server itself, Cloud providers are basically going to leave it up to you to support yourself 100% (so far as the environment on the server is concerned).

KnownHost is a more traditional VPS provider, selling VPS systems prepackaged with their control panel of choice, infrastucture, etc.

Top Bottom