Is anyone using EV SSL certificates here? Did it make a difference as far as user trust goes?

Robust

Is anyone using EV SSL certificates here? Did it make a difference as far as user trust goes? Do your users trust your site more?

Probably more aimed at sites that also accept payments.

What is the difference between them and regular SSL certificate? I have a LetsEcrypt ssl certificate.
The difference between

Screen Shot 2016-11-27 at 6.54.02 PM.webp

and

Screen Shot 2016-11-27 at 6.54.15 PM.webp

no implications being made.. they were the two sites I had open in my browser that are support sites I hang at.

It makes no difference on an android / Chrome.

Screenshot_20161128-085520~2.webp

Even after querying the lock I have to tap certificate information. Now I don't think many people will go into it that much.

Is anyone using EV SSL certificates here? Did it make a difference as far as user trust goes? Do your users trust your site more?

Probably more aimed at sites that also accept payments.
We went to TSL because I heard Google would eventually penalise sites that don't. That doesn't seen to have happened.
And aside from running a poll, which we haven't done, I don't know how we'd measure whether people trust the site more.
If we were taking payments for anything I'd say running https is essential even if the payment itself is happening on Paypal or elsewhere.

Extended Validation certificates are supposed to be more trustful then Domain Validated Certificates.
They need more information from you and they do extra checks to be sure it's you / your company is a valid, real company.
The warranty (in case the certificate is compromised) is also higher just like the price off these certificates.

Apart from that, I don't think users know the difference.
As long is it's green they trust it. :p
Only a few % of users would know the difference.
Not worth the extra money for most users.
For big Enterprises it's worth the money because they need the warranty and extra trust.

Extended Validation certificates are supposed to be more trustful then Domain Validated Certificates.
They need more information from you and they do extra checks to be sure it's you / your company is a valid, real company.
The warranty (in case the certificate is compromised) is also higher just like the price off these certificates.

Apart from that, I don't think users know the difference.
As long is it's green they trust it. :p
Only a few % of users would know the difference.
Not worth the extra money for most users.
For big Enterprises it's worth the money because they need the warranty and extra trust.
But it's more green. Instead of a green padlock, it shows the whole company name in the URL bar surrounded by green. It stands out a lot more.

792645fcb1.png

e556106d9a.png

The first looks a lot more appealing. My question is, would this (in the mind of someone computer-illiterate) make much of a difference? Could it increase conversions and sales by much, like the CAs claim? And would people generally consider it to be nice eye candy?

But it's more green. Instead of a green padlock, it shows the whole company name in the URL bar surrounded by green. It stands out a lot more.

792645fcb1.png

e556106d9a.png

The first looks a lot more appealing. My question is, would this (in the mind of someone computer-illiterate) make much of a difference? Could it increase conversions and sales by much, like the CAs claim? And would people generally consider it to be nice eye candy?

True, it looks more appealing. But i doubt it will make much difference.
Yes, Nice eye candy. That's it!

Instead of a green padlock, it shows the whole company name in the URL bar surrounded by green. It stands out a lot more.
It does tend to help "brand" the site better. You know for sure that you are at the correct location if making a payment. If my pipe site (running a different script) takes off and starts bringing in a decent income, I will move it to an EV, but for now, the current setup is fine as it secures it just as well.

Well, EV certificates were only £28 from namecheap with the Cyber Monday deals earlier today. The cost for a EV certificate was brought down by 80+% in that sale, but verification is still difficult for businesses that are not registered with a public registrar.

Well, EV certificates were only £28 from namecheap with the Cyber Monday deals earlier today.
In addition to the initial cost is the renewals, which probably go back to their default (which according to your post is around 80% more). So it's not as if it's a one time cost.
Let's use a Thawte EV cert as an example. Roughly $164 a year to maintain. For a site that may be bringing in only $100 a year to begin with it's automatically losing money. Add on top of that (like in my case) the average $300 a year for script/add-on renewals and you are already sinking into a hole. I personally no longer run any ads/viglink on the site (personal preference). Minimization of losses is important when starting out - as we all know that there are cost overheads involved, but the cost/benefit of an EV is not really there for me.

In addition to the initial cost is the renewals, which probably go back to their default (which according to your post is around 80% more). So it's not as if it's a one time cost.
Let's use a Thawte EV cert as an example. Roughly $164 a year to maintain. For a site that may be bringing in only $100 a year to begin with it's automatically losing money. Add on top of that (like in my case) the average $300 a year for script/add-on renewals and you are already sinking into a hole. I personally no longer run any ads/viglink on the site (personal preference). Minimization of losses is important when starting out - as we all know that there are cost overheads involved, but the cost/benefit of an EV is not really there for me.
Oh yeah, I don't suggest EV for every new forum (or rather forums in general). I was more asking for E-commerce businesses and the lot. EV wouldn't make much sense for forums.

Oh yeah, I don't suggest EV for every new forum (or rather forums in general). I was more asking for E-commerce businesses and the lot. EV wouldn't make much sense for forums.
The forum I'm referencing (for my example) includes IPS's commerce package and also a classifieds add-on. The Commerce package is being used to sell physical products.
Even with that, it's not cost efficient at this time just to have the few added benefits that an EV gives. ;)

792645fcb1.png

e556106d9a.png

Worth noting that in the next version of Chrome (55) the distinction between a EV site and non-EV site is less significant:

upload_2016-11-29_12-20-22.webp

So with the EV in chrome 55 it shows the company or site name where it says secure? I don't think that it should say secure in chrome 55. I think it should just have the lock and HTTPS because the website or company name isn't "Secure".

So with the EV in chrome 55 it shows the company or site name where it says secure? I don't think that it should say secure in chrome 55. I think it should just have the lock and HTTPS because the website or company name isn't "Secure".
No, it shows secure to tell the customer the site is securely encrypted.

Top Bottom