IQnection Acquires xFhost.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps this will allow for prompt support replies, I still had tickets from weeks ago just sitting there.

Although, I've been through situations like before and it almost always ends up bad for the clients.

I was going to stay out of this thread, even when @kprojects himself sent me a PM about it. Although since I found 8 or 9 other people contacting my about it as well, I figured it does deserve a reply.

The common question among people was do I know anything about IQnection Internet Services, Inc? And my reply is, no not really.

They appear to have acquired or at least inquired about acquiring others recently as well; at least that is what webhostingtalk.com suggest when doing a search on them. That does not suggest anything good or bad, per say.

As far as I am aware of, they have no association with EIG (Endurance International Group), which is in my opinion a good thing.

The only thing someone else pointed out to me that they thought was odd is their "whois" record has changed 116 times since 2002. http://whois.domaintools.com/iqnection.com

But that really does not say anything, my own "whois" record has changed 58 times since 2010.
http://whois.domaintools.com/sociallyuncensored.com "Who is" records change all to easily in my opinion (mine classifies as "changed" any time I seem to even renew my domain name for example).

And of which I would be amiss from pointing out, that they do list a real physical address, which is usually a good thing. As opposed to a "private listing" as I have or a P.O. Box (of course I don't host people).

So in summery, I don't know anything bad or good about them. You'll have to do your own research. And I would encourage you to review them, publicly on your findings... But wait 6+ months after trying them before doing so (that way you have a full picture).

Last edited:
The only thing someone else pointed out to me that they thought was odd is their "whois" record has changed 116 times since 2002. http://whois.domaintools.com/iqnection.com

"Change" doesn't exactly mean what you think it does in this context. When someone uses their WHOIS tool, they search using the authoritative registrar's WHOIS result and then they make their own copy and archive it.

A difference in timestamps will count as a "change" even though no information has been updated. As will a change in name servers, expiration dates, etc. The number you see here is mostly dependent on the 'popularity' (for lack of coming up with a better word) of the domain.

Last edited:
"Change" doesn't exactly mean what you think it does in this context. When someone uses their WHOIS tool, they search using the authoritative registrar's WHOIS result and then they make their own copy and archive it.

A difference in timestamps will count as a "change" even though no information has been updated. As will a change in name servers, expiration dates, etc. The number you see here is mostly dependent on the 'popularity' (for lack of coming up with a better word) of the domain.
I'm aware of this, but gave a "short" answer as not wanting to explain it. Though you did a good job (better than I did).

Ugh i feel im really missing the boat running a dedicated box with no experience or knowledge of what any of this stuff means or even how to confirm such things.. (php, Mysqli, etc, etc..) :( My server acts as if its chugging but i feel like i should have resources for days at my disposal..

I LOL'd at this.. Why would anyone let alone 8 or 9 people contact you about something you have no concern in? You still never said who that dev was either that ripped you off for 4 grand...
I mean not for nothing...people contact me about addons and styles I have nothing to do with, and they ask me for my opinion, guidance, if I would recommend it / my rating of it. And I also was ripped off for a couple grand trying to get an addon made a couple years ago and I haven't made a point to tell anyone anything about who this person could possibly be. If that makes me not credible in someones mind I guess I would have to deal with that but personally if I choose not to tell anyone specifics that would be my business and their problem really.

I mean not for nothing...people contact me about addons and styles I have nothing to do with, and they ask me for my opinion, guidance, if I would recommend it / my rating of it. And I also was ripped off for a couple grand trying to get an addon made a couple years ago and I haven't made a point to tell anyone anything about who this person could possibly be. If that makes me not credible in someones mind I guess I would have to deal with that but personally if I choose not to tell anyone specifics that would be my business and their problem really.

Many of us have been burned at one point or another within one of the forum software communities by a dev or style.. M point wasn't that, you didn't start a thread here and two other sites about it and refused to show proof or name the person like he did. The thread was even deleted here as even staff had asked and he still refused. The stuff he does is simply for attention and to try to appear that he is far more important in the community then he really is.

Was about to post that Brogan was about to post, but I see he beat me :P

I hope it all works out for xFhost's clients, I just find it unlikely based off my experiences thus far.

They apparently do Xenforo hosting as well but a bit pricey. Not bad but a bit pricy.
I enjoyed my time with them. I still use them for my domain stuff if I want to buy a new domain. But yeah I do feel like they're too expensive or else I'd still be using them.

I wanted to give a little information about IQnection - looks like it might be the right time! :)

IQnection is a small hosting company located in Doylestown, PA (18901). There are less than 25 full time employees. These employees are split up between the various departments here; Hosting, Sales, Marketing, Design. Two guys (Bob and Greg) started it back around 2000 and probably 95% of our clients are with us because we designed their web sites.

The Hosting dept had 3 employees until we also hired Mike Edge to make 4 employees. I've worked here for about 4 years and it's a great 'family'. The majority of us live right around Doylestown with the exception of one of our tier-3 Hosting guys living in Washington state.

Over the past few years we have purchased 3 other smaller hosting companies. These were mostly design outfits trying to also provide hosting to their clients.

I've used XenForo since it first came out with its Beta.. was signed up on the forum here before it was released and was looking for something better than vBulletin to use. I quickly became a fan and used XenForo for most of my personal projects I did on the side.

About 95% of our hosting clients are with us only because we also designed their sites. A majority of them also live about a half-hour from our offices.

This whole 'deal' really started because I wanted to get into specialty XenForo hosting. I often saw Mike Edge on the forums here as of late and figured instead of us targeting XenForo users and going head-to-head with xfhost, I'd talk to Mike and see if he was interested in coming on board.

We also have projects that we're working on - the biggest one is probably Linux.org which runs on XenForo. The hosting dept provides the hosting and all of the content and management for the site.

Well, this went on longer than I expected.

If anyone (anyone) wants to express any issues or if you have questions, feel free to reach out to me directly: rkennedy@iqnection.com

Thanks,
Rob

kprojects I want to know what changes will be made to xfhost and how will this benefit the users? I am wanting to transfer from hostgator to xfhost but I am a bit hesitant because of the acquisition as well as that you need a paypal account to sign up for xfhost which I cant get a hold of thanks to paypal being the worlds worst system :)

kprojects I want to know what changes will be made to xfhost and how will this benefit the users? I am wanting to transfer from hostgator to xfhost but I am a bit hesitant because of the acquisition as well as that you need a paypal account to sign up for xfhost which I cant get a hold of thanks to paypal being the worlds worst system :)

Frosty, there aren't many changes, but here are some things in the works...

Pros for clients:
- More support techs for xFhost clients (4 instead of 1)

- Inclusion in our off site backup system - including timed MySQL dumps.. which has a 30 day 'daily' retention (ie: if you need Dec 12th backup, etc..)

- xFhost will be monitored by our nagios system. We will be able to monitor a number of things on the server including server load, users logged in, smtp/ping/ssh/httpd/dns checks, memory usage, etc.. giving us an edge if things start acting up.

- Adding credit card payments (here ya go Frosty!). This will be set up within the next week or so.

Cons for clients:
- Mike had a policy of 'unlimited 3rd party' support - meaning he could spend 40hrs/week on one particular client's site upgrading it, installing mods, generally troubleshooting issues with XenForo boards, etc.. This could quickly bankrupt any company so we are limiting the 3rd party support based on the plan the client has, ranging from 1hr/mo to 3hrs/mo of free XF support (plenty of time for a free upgrade or resource installation) with the possibility of purchasing more hours at $50/hr (fair market value from what we've seen on here).

- We have raised the pricing of the hosting plans for 2014. This will only be for new clients. Existing clients remain in their current pricing plans. This is to offset the free XF support.

I'm working on an email to send out to existing clients with all of this laid out. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns.

Thanks!
Rob

Last edited:
I just woke up to find that according to xfhost we have not payed since October (which is not true). In order to get the site back up I payed for what it says we owe thinking about getting the problem solved and latter enquiring about the double payment. Site was still marked as suspended. So I went back and checked. Apparently now we owe more months. In a second attempt to sort this I ended up paying again and now we owe even more months.

We are suspended. Mike has been sent a conversation but this is something I just found out about. Is there something that can be done about this?

Hey there Motobaka,

I just unsuspended your account. We need to go through and figure out which invoices are paid and which are not however.. looks like there was an issue where cron has not been running the automatic invoice generation for a few months now. Cron just ran and generated invoices for a number of clients.

If anyone else finds they've been suspended, please open a ticket or email me - rkennedy@iqnection.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom